cold start sluggishness

I know a few other folks have posted other cold-related issues and received lost of responses, but none seemed to match quite right.

86 cj7 258, carter bbd, nutter bypass

I am trying to figure out if there could be a relationship between a very loud whistling (a vacuum leak I haven't found yet) and some serious sluggishness while the engine is cold. It was 15 or 18 degrees this morning (-10C) and it exhibited the typical symptoms. Starts and idles perfectly and in fact runs great for the first 2-3 minutes. Then the whistling starts and with the whistling comes a huge bogging issue under any load at all. I believe the only delayed vacuum line should be the thermal vacuum switch that purges the canister and controls the EGR. I know it is not the EGR as it blocked off. Anyone else hearing something familiar or following the train of thought here? Could a vacuum leak cause a serious bogging issue until warm and then go away?.

Would love to hear any thoughts or ideas on this.

Thanks

Reply to
Deano

Micah

I think I would first be looking at the air filter flaps and their controls or vacuum lines for a leak. These are active on a cold engine. The EGR even has a thermostat inside the air filter.

Second I would be checking the carb's base screws to be sure the carb is bolted down tight.

Third I would be looking really close at the choke vacuum pull off valve. It is on the back corner of the carb with a vacuum line running to it. I would want to make sure it isn't leaking.

You can carefully spray some carb cleaner or WD40 along the carb base and along the intake manifold gasket to check for leaks. If the engine rumbles when you spray, you have a leak.

Besides the noise, your carb sounds like the typical automatic choke issue. The thing is on a bimetal spring timer that doesn't care how warm the engine actually is so when the engine is half way warm, the choke is open too much so it bogs like mad. You have to feather the gas pedal up and down to keep it running under load and 2 foot drive them. You 'can' adjust the choke for how rich it runs until it opens by loosening the three screws on the cover and turning it. It has indexing lines on it. Unless the carb number is 8349 or 8351, it should be 1 notch rich. Or you can go manual choke easily.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I used to do this back in the 70's and 80's too. I figured that sticking it to The Man was a good thing, and that if it ran better, what the hell.

Fact is, every engine I ever did that to (that was carburated) ended up running too rich. It ran better, but too rich. I rejetted an old 318 Dodge motor that I'd de-EGR'ed, and it was better, but then when the Smog Nazi hooked up a vacuum tester to the EGR and discovered my handiwork, it cost me $50 bucks to undo the thing, rejet and retest. Bleh. Big hassle.

Doing this on an OBD-II controlled motor will set codes and make your dash light up like a Christmas tree. You can still get away with it on an OBD-I motor that is fuel injected without a problem, but just remember to undo it when the time comes.

EGR valves are old-school. You'd think that by now, they'd be unnessasary; creating a deliberate exhaust gas leak into the intake is like throwing a wet blanket on a fire.

Now you have me thinking about installing a 'block-off' gasket on the TJ just to see if it would run better and get better mileage. A block-off wouldn't set a code (shouldn't?), and it won't run rich either.

I'll get back to you on all this...

Reply to
Outatime

Both Conspiring and Counseling to commit a crime. Interesting.

Suborning a criminal act. Fascinating.

Posting it on Usenet. PRICELESS!!

And this now goes somewhere else; they'll love it.

Reply to
Gaston Ryan Koake

:>Here's a good one to report! :>

:> :>Both Conspiring and Counseling to commit a crime. Interesting. :> :>Suborning a criminal act. Fascinating. :> :>Posting it on Usenet. PRICELESS!! :> :> :>And this now goes somewhere else; they'll love it. :>

:>

Isn't it funny coming from a Pig Boy who never lies, is a Minute Maid vigilante, a war hero who never fired a shot at the enemy, a service station owner who never ripped off a customer, a race driver who never cheated, one who owned many Harley's & every automobile that is to his liking. + + + + + + How will Lard Pig Boy slither out from under this one? Mail sent priority one!

24Bit®
Reply to
24Bit

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Was your illustrious name attached somewhere to this post Cheap Trick?

Reply to
24Bit

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Lack of EGR will not cause a rich condition, injected or not.

Some OBD I systems (Chrysler & Jeep for example) do monitor EGR flow, and will light the MIL if EGR is blocked off.

On many vehicles, it is unnecessary now. But, as emission laws get tighter, it may become necessary again.

When they first started using EGR, it didn't work as well as it does now. Some vehicles actually have EGR valves, not because they were needed to pass NOx standards, but because they found they could actually get slightly better MPG.

"If" your TJ had EGR, and you blocked it off, it would certainly set a code, but it doesn't.

Reply to
bllsht

You just can't seem to get it right, now can you, and these people listen to your Bull, and accept it. Sad.

:> There you go again, the jealous, REALLY JEALOUS, over the fact that :>I once own a '37 Lasalle, what a jealous little draft dodging senile :>coward from Gulf Breeze, Florida, who's only way to get attention is to :>make a fool of it's self. With this goat obsession/fetish you have. Like :>when the other kids laughed at it's attempt to use foul language in :>elementary school play grounds, but just gibberish. Too senile to :>remember what he last wrote. You remind me of a little rat dog, like a :>Mexican Chiwawa with it's senseless barking, me too, me too. And as :>usually afraid to use your name, address, or even sign your statement as :>any man would. :> Again you don't even have the fortitude to sign your lies, what :>coward! :> You're not worth any more time when a cut and paste this same :>paragraph it fits so well! :> But now worth the time to forward this low life to: snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com :>and to cox,net to nail 4ax.com (databasix.com) :> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O :>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

:>"24Bit®" wrote: :>>

Reply to
24Bit

[...]

:>"24Bit®" wrote: :>>

Reply to
24Bit

Outatime proclaimed:

Some folks used little soft plastic plugs or balls...if they did get into the engine they wouldn't cause any harm.

If you have two hoses, put the block in one, then swap for the smog test. Experienced smog operators could spot the disabled or reduced EGR just by listening to your engine as you drove in.

Reduces nitrous oxide. Hopefully somebody will figure a better way, as there is pretty good fuel savings running with higher compression and combustion but that also increases NOx...and with the new congress already blowing about "environment" this doesn't look like good times ahead for auto enthusiasts.

Think most systems do check for the amount of exhaust being recirculated, so would expect a code on most mods. With modern FI it tends not to be as bad as the older stuff when EGR first started.

Reply to
Lon

It did on my old 78 Dodge with the 'lean burn' system; it was set up so that the valve was wide open at any throttle setting except idle, and the mains were oversized a bit to compensate. After rejetting, I ended up with better throttle response and another 1.5 mpg, which was a big deal because it only got 10 mpg to begin with.

Another old '74 wagon I drove ran like a champ with the vacuum tube removed. No one I knew ever left theirs hooked up. I know the vacuum controls on EGRs now are more refined, but the idea of shoving exhaust gasses back into an engine to lower combustinon temps still seems silly to me. Even water injection made more sense to me.

Reply to
Outatime

Figures. I'll probably get a code, but I'd like to see how much better it runs just for laughs. There's always a way to get around something if you really want to. Truckers figured out a long time ago that getting around computer governors was an easy task, IF you didn't mind the speedometer being disabled. Nowadays we get a code set on that too if we mess with input sensors.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Since EGR doesn't cause a lean condition, larger jets would do nothing to 'compensate' for it. Exhaust gas is inert. It doesn't change the mixture, it only takes up space to keep peak combustion temperature down.

No doubt EGR in the 70s & 80s wasn't good, but today, you probably wouldn't notice a difference by disconnecting it. Other than the MIL being on, that is.

I always wondered about water injection too. Perhaps it's more costly, or has other drawbacks. Maybe the water vapor that gets past the rings condensing in the combustion chamber could be a problem.

Reply to
bllsht

Reliable storage and delivery problems. How are you going to supply water, when the ambient temperature is -20º and the car is left out all night?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton