Engine Racing While Shifting

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this:

Background First- This is a 2003 TJ Sport I-6, 21,000 miles on it (since Nov when I purchased it new). No modifications whatsoever- Bone Stock

Weather was a little cool this am, low 60's in northern VA.

Leaving the driveway shifting between first and second, I noticed the RPM's go up a couple hundred- actually the sound came to my attention first then I started watching the tach. It kept up through all 5 gears. I attributed it to a cold engine. Unfortunately, it kept up until well after the temp guage reached its' normal point at 210 degrees. My commute is about 47 miles and it only stopped after about

25 miles... The variance was only about 300 RPM's and it DID stop, but I'm wondering if this an indicator of something out of adjustment (high idle?) Gas is the same I've always used from the same station if that makes a difference.

Any ideas? Words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

John

Reply to
John R

Jeep Guy

I had the same problem with my 00 TJ 4.0L, it hasent happened again for about a month, post a message of you find the problem!

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Is this the first time it has happened? I know GM had the rpms hanging between shifts on their newer modles. They said it was so that it made the shifting smoother.

Reply to
Shawn

Yes, it's the first time its' happened to this degree. It happens only slightly when the engine is cold when I'm easing out of the driveway first thing, and I attribute that to cold engine/high idle... What I experienced the other day was unusual and isolated- it hasn't happened since. The weirdest part was that it was extreme- 300 RPM's doesn't sound like much but it seemed huge at the time escpecially when the engine had come up to temp and it kept doing it...

As far as what GM does- nothing would surprise me. I wouldn't own a GM product if one was given to me. But that's another topic.

I'm going to keep looking for answers. If I find one, I'll post it.

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John R