Engine swap straight 6 to 350

i have a cj-7 1979 with a straight 6 in it that seized up due to a severe oil leak puncture in oil case; engine seized up. i came across a buddy who put a 2 yr old crate small block 350 into a truck and stop using it. Is giving it to me i got it to run almost perfect and just going to mess with it clean the 4 barrel carb etc... i need help figuring out how to switch the engines and to figure out what i need to do so... new motor mounts, radiator, tranny, transfer case etc. This jeep has 40 inch ground hawgs and is strict off road... the thing is a beast...(well was ;) and i need help with this if anyone knows anything please let me know. it would be a GREAT help.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

My advice is to sell the 350 and buy a running or rebuildable 258. If you insist on using the 350, these folks will sell you lots of parts that may or may not do what you want. Consider getting a heavy duty oil pan or welding a plate on the bottom of your existing one.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

another one of my buddies has the same straight 6 for a 79 and he would sell it to me for cheap but it hasnt run in a loooong time in the future i was looking to put in rockwell axles and other serious mods...

Reply to
Nick

The 258 I6 is a strong, dependable engine with plenty of power for a CJ and parts are cheap. The weak spot seems to be that decades without routine maintenance will result in the #6 rod bearing spinning.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

it hasnt really been that long that the engine hasnt been running but i havent seen it yet. so if i wanted to put the 350 i got in should i use the existing tranny or should i use the one i got with the truck i got with it. the truck is a GMC 6000 like 1960,70? with the new crate engine in it. i got it running and its got a lot of low end torque. shuold i use that tranny or get like a turbo 400?

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III