Front axle U-Joints

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - 70,000 miles

I had my left and right front axle u-joints replaced a couple of days ago, and now the right side has a fluid leak by the right front u-joint.

I assume this is differential/axle fluid from a bad seal. It was not leaking before the u-joint replacement.

The mechanic says that sometimes seals just "go bad" but it was fine before the replacement u-joints.

I went to the local Jeep dealer today, and got a $500 estimate to replace both front axle seals, and re-fill with synthetic differential fluid.

Also went to the local Midas and got the same "about $500 estimate."

Seems very high to me. Is $500 correct to replace both front axle seals?

Is a leaking front axle seal a common problem after a u-joint replacement, or did the mechanic who replaced the u-joints do something wrong?

Thanks,

Mabar

Reply to
Mabar

First thing I'd wonder is if the diff is overfilled. Pull the plug (or unscrew the fill bolt). The fluid should be level with the fill hole or a bit below.

It is possible whoever put the axle shaft back in damaged the seal, but that's hard to do.

Take it back to the shop that did the U joints and have them check. They touched it last.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Actually, the ham-fisted Chrysler mechanics at my dealership had no problem buggering mine up. Problem is these seals require popping the diff out to change them.

Reply to
jeff

Not that I know of. Course Chrysler's u-joints only last a few thousand miles typically. Mine failed at under 30K...

Might have... You'd never be able to prove it...

Reply to
PeterD

Checked, and the fluid level is just below the fill hole

Reply to
Mabar

Wipe the dribble from the axle tube/shaft and keep an eye on it over the next few weeks. It could be some got into the tube (or assembly lube) is what you are looking at.

If it continues to leak then I'd take it back to the shop that did the axles.

Reply to
DougW