Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I own a '94 XJ right now and am thinking about getting a new Rubicon as a third vehicle that I can use as a convertible, fun vehicle in the summer and to take on the trail every once in a while. My other option is to get a slightly used Wrangler (2000 or newer) and add a slight lift. What I am finding is that 2000 or newer low-mileage I-6 Wranglers retain their value pretty well and the price of the new Rubicon is well within my range, so I am leaning towards the new Rubicon.

Any thoughts about my thinking above? Any opinions about the Rubicon?

Thanks.

Reply to
JW

what about a used rubicon? whether you go new or used if its in your budget the rubicon is a smart move. i have a _lot_ of video where tj's are climbing just fine on a slick slope until one wheel goes up and suddenly they have 3 wheel drive (essentially 2 wheel drive because the 1 pulling in the front is in the air catching nothing leaving only the back axle pulling) stopping them in their tracks. with the rubicon you push the magic go button and continue on. there are a _lot_ of advantages to the rubicon and definately worth the added expense.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I looked at used Rubicons...

According to Edmunds.com, the TMV for a new 2004 Rubicon with A/C and theft deterrent system is $23,831 after $2,000 cash rebate and with 0% interest. Doing some time value of money calculations with cost of money at 4.5% translates that 0% interest for 36 months for $23,831 to another $1,500 or so in savings for an effective price of around $22,300.

There are twelve 2003 and 2004 Rubicons within 250 miles of my house and they range from $21,500 to $33,995. Umm... Sorry, but I'll take the new one for $22,300. It also gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that these people are selling used 2003 Rubicons for about the price of new 2004 Rubicons (but who knows if they are actually moving them).

-JW

Reply to
JW

it really depends on how its equipped. you wont get a fully dressed rubicon for anywhere near $22,300. if youre looking for a bottom end rubicon you should be able to find one used for under $20k easily.

i paid just over $30k for mine fully dressed (dual tops, a/c, automatic tranny, cruise, 7 speaker, the works) about 8 or 9 months ago and tried selling it for $23,800. best i could do was around $21,000 so i decided to just keep it. they dont seem to hold their value like i had hoped, i just dont believe a vehicle loses $33% of its value in less than a year. 20% maybe, but not 33%. since i can write it off anyway as a legitimate business expense ill still get the new truck i wanted (after tax season) so maybe it worked out for the best.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
David C. Moller

I agree with David... for your described usage, the Rubi is more than you need. If you won't ever need the lockers and 4 to 1 low range, then maybe a dressed out Sahara or Sport would be better suited. But if a loaded Rubi is in your budget, then why not have it all!

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
twaldron

argh....i forgot i had a couple grand wrap around from my mustang trade in.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
twaldron

Not sure about Chryslers marketting program but with most manufacturers you get EITHER the rebate OR the 0%, not both. Edmunds is horrible about trying to tell everyone they get both. The dealers can't offer what they can't get themselves. As stated above, I'm not sure about Chrysler's programs.

Reply to
DragonRider

On most vehicles after 9/11 that's pretty much in the ballpark. Why?

0% programs! The same ones you love to get are the ones that are destroying your used car market values. Reason: Payments! You can't get a 0% interest rate on a used car. The best rates out there are 3.5% (if you are the top-tier in credit you may get this) and the average on a 1 year old used car is around 5.5-6.5%. That means that a person would have to be sure that buying a new car wasn't cheaper than buying a used car. Frequently it is!

To sell a used vehicle you must make sure that the price of that used vehicle is typically less than that of a new vehicle. It must be low enough that the average used car payment is far enough less than a new car payment to warrant consideration. If you save up to $4,500-6,500 on interest alone (not hard to do with average interest rates on a $25,000 vehicle) then you have to take that off of the lowest price for that kind of vehicle. From there, you have to discount it further since taking that $4,500-6,500 would only have you match the payments on a new one. Then you take into consideration that the vehicle is used, pre-titled, etc. That means it's worth less than a comparable new vehicle. To wit, yes, the values can easily drop 33% in the first year.

If you REALLY want a tax write-off try most any of the current Ford 'fleeters'. Focus, Taurus, Explorer (god help those who are nuts enough to buy a 2-door Explorer Sport) and the Sport Trac. Those things can lose as much as 65% as soon as you sign on the title and drive off the lot. For instance, MSRP on a Taurus SES? $26k. Drive off the lot and you are in an $8,500-9k car. Tops. The fleets made damned sure of that.

Oh, and god help those in old-body style Blazers after the new trailblazer came out. They are generally buried in them around $7,500 or more.

Reply to
DragonRider

I just bought an '04 Sport and got both 0% and $2K rebate. I was also upsidedown on a '99 Land Rover Disco.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

Current offer on Jeeps, including Wrangler, is 2K AND 0%. Of course, incentive programs are subject to fluctuation, but that's what I heard from my local dealer (metro DC).

Brian

It's good to hear they are able to do that.. but unfortunately it means that they believe they HAVE to do that to get the sale. The economy is turning around, but car sales are the last things to get speed. (sigh)

Reply to
DragonRider