Help with oil pressure please.

2000 6cyl. 45Kmiles The oil pressure drops to 0 and "check gauges" comes on when warm and idling. No other problems. New oil and filter did not help. Thanks - Allen
Reply to
bushman

Normally that means the sender has gone bad or is just plain leaking. It is located near the filter.

Mike

Mike Romain

But to be sure go to your local auto parts store and get a real mechanical oil pressure gauge. Many will lend or rent tools.

Reply to
billy ray

Loose connection or failing pressure sender.

0 psi indicates the connector has come loose. 80 would indicate a short to ground.
DougW

Thanks to everyone. I will try a new sender. The pressure reads normal when the engine is cold and just a little low at 1000+rpm when hot. could the pressure relief valve be stuck open? If so where is it?

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

More than likely is is the sender, they are notorious for failure. But you should double check using a mechanical gauge you can borrow from your local Auto-Zone.

When you get a replacement make sure it is a sender, not a switch for an idiot light.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

bushman proclaimed:

It could be, but first just change the sender. I think Jeep got the original units from Lucas or similar. If your sender filter layout is the same as a 4.0 ZJ, the hardest part is simply turning the thing--you only get a very very short stroke with a wrench on each attempt. The change itself other than that is trivially simple. [Thanks DougW]

Reply to
Lon

Allen,

Did the new sensor fix your problem?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Jeep Talk is what I need. I just found this string and joined. I've got a 99 4.0 with bouncing oil pressure gauge and "check gauges" light popping on & off. I think it's sending unit as engine runs fine with no noises. Just where is the thing located? And can I replace it just by crawling under it?

Thx

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Wonder

Jumping around would imply a loose connection to me. It is located beside the oil filter.

Mike

Mike Romain

New sensor: Advanced Discount Autoparts $53, AutoZone $39. I'll try to acquire a mechanical gauge to screw in and see what it reads. Any online recommendations?

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

Open the hood it's just behind your distributor. Unplug unscrew put new one on plug it in and you're done.

Reply to
Simon Juncal