Help with Oil Pressure Relief Install

All,

I am currently trying to find the source of my sp 1600 / 1970 bug's overheating. After cleaning the oil pressure relief valve that was stuck, I find that when I put it back in, it still sticks somewhat at the top. After some tapping it will fall out. Is it supposed to be completly free and easy, or can it have some resistance ? Do I need to to more cleaning ? And finally, It seems to look just like the control valve, I thought the relief valve had a notch in it. Does it, or am I ok here ?

I did read all I could on this subject in the group, but could not find the answers to this. Thanks for the help,

Trey.

Reply to
Zadamax

It usually sticks a little, but oil pressure will push it down.

The notched type relief valve piston was only used in some engines (1500sp?) the rest vere all smooth. (all dual relief cases had two smooth pistons)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan,

Thank you so much. It just started dropping like a rock so I guess it is ok. If I don't overheat I believe it should not stick again. ( But what are the odds on that one ? :) )

Trey

Reply to
Zadamax