Oil type

Been reading some posts on the "How many miles are on your TJ?" thread....

Lots of guys use synthetic! How much better is this for your engine?

I'd put it in if it was better....but would I void warrantee by using something other than what they recommend?

sb

Reply to
SB

SB did pass the time by typing:

The main thing synthetics have going for them is longevity. Where dino breaks down after about 3000mi the synthetics can go out to 7000mi.

I ran dino for a few years, then tried blends and synthetics. The engine ran quieter with the synthetic so I stuck with it. Seems to keep the lifters happy.

nope. Unless of course you use pancake syrup instead of oil. :)

Reply to
DougW

LOL!

That created a rather funny aunt-jamima mental picture...

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I thought synthetic was Man'gineered.

Reply to
SB

'Some' is, most that claim the label aren't.

The 'real' ones took the fakes to court, but the word 'synthetic' covers too broad a spectrum so the cracked petroleum products or 'fake' synthetics can use it.

Then you have snake oil like amsoil that will void an engine warranty because it can't get the approval the vehicle manufacturer's demand.

Mike

SB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I run only 100% synthetic oil, 0 W 30 in my TJ and Crown Vic. Only synthetic oil is used in turbine engines. Dino oil breaks down ,and cannot take the heat. If it can stand the rpm's turned by turbines and not fail that tells me its far superior to dino oil.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Dealer in New Zealand uses Mobil S for engine oil in TJs. Just had it changed last week. The Jeep is still under warranty.

TW

Reply to
TW

Kevin

I run only 100% synthetic oil, 0 W 30 in my TJ and Crown Vic. Only

The synthetic used in aircraft turbine engines isn't really a fair comparison though, as it GAINS viscosity with temperature due to its additives, the opposite of auto oils. I was a helicopter pilot for a few years and the sludgier that crap is when hot, the better. If you used av type turbine oil in your car, you'd be in trouble quick.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to