Opinions on wheel spacers

Group,

Check these out. Would I be wasting my money?

Thanks

Reply to
Shadow

Shadow did pass the time by typing:

Well, the first question is why?

Spacers put an undue amount of stress on the wheel bearings and will cause them to fail much quicker. The are also not the safest things since they can loosen up and the first time you learn about it is when your wheel passes you up on the road.

It is always best to use rims with the proper backspacing.

Reply to
DougW

L.W.(ßill)

Every set of spacers I've ever seen have a BIG warning sticker on the box saying "Not Intended for Offroad Use!" Me, I'd save up and get wheels with the correct back-spacing. Also, as Doug says, it would be real bad to see one of your wheels pass you on the highway. Good Luck!

Best, Don

Reply to
Wing Nut

I agree with Bill and Doug. Also, if you MUST use wheel spacers, never use aluminum.

Chris

What vehicle and axles are you running? As the above responses indicate, spacers this size are frowned upon. My Jeep has the narrow track axles, so I put two inch spacers each side for trail stability. IMHO it was a great investment and improvement for my application. I only drive my Jeep about

2000 miles a year, most of which is trail or around town errands, so I don't worry about the addition bearing wear they speak of. If you properly torque all lug nuts, inside and out, there is no risk of a wheel falling off.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Group,

I am running stock 1997 Sahara Grizzly rims with BFG's AT 30 x 9.5 and I wanted to add something to widen up the track. I Just bought the tires and don't know that they would fit on wider rims. Hate to have to buy new tires or wait till these wear out for the rims.

Rich

&item=2444355885

Reply to
Shadow

Yes, every ten years when I replace my brake pads, I replace the lug nuts whether they need it or not.

JimG

http://www.rogueeng> >

> &item=2444355885> > >

Reply to
JimG

Your 30x9.5s on Grizzly rims should work just fine. Why do you think you need to widen the track? Spacers are generally considered to be a bad idea, especially off road. I'd stick with what you have. If you go with a wider tire, get a wheel with the correct back spacing (as much as you can use without rubbing).

Reply to
TJim

The further out that you mount a wheel from the bearing, the more strain will be placed on it.. mounting over-wide tires on over-wide rims will have the same effect.. differentials are always trying to get ahead of the wheels that they are driving.. the driving wheels put excessive pressure on the bearings as they drag behind the force being applied by the drive shafts.. the pivot point is essentially the bearings.. despite the advertized spacers being suitable for Jeeps, spacers are a 'Rice Boy' accessories anyway..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

I purchased this type of spacer and the couldn't torque the lug nuts past 65 ft lbs w/ 3 different type of lug nuts. I decided that they were not safe for the road but keep them for when I might need to use chains and need extra clearance for my air bags. I do feel I wasted my money.

Shadow wrote:

MacCheeta

Roy J did pass the time by typing:

It has to do with how torsion is transferred to the bearing.

Scuse the ASCII art. :)

__ | | | | | |======= | | |__| ^ Normal wheel puts load almost directly perpendicualr to the axle in what is called shear force. There is very little torsion applied to the bearings.

__ | | | |_ | |_======= | | |__| ^ Stick on a spacer and the load gains a torsion component or the equivelent of trying to bend the axle up. (dang this is hard to explain with ascii)

How about this. Take a pencil, put it in your palm and close your hand and hold the pencil horizontal. Now your hand is the bearing and the pencil, the axle. ===( )

Lets put a wheel on that pencil. Push up on the pencil right next to your hand. ===( ) ^ Now a spacer. Push up on the pencil end. ===( ) ^

Notice the pencil is now trying to rotate your hand and you can feel the load difference.

This is what spacers do to wheel bearings. They change a shear force into a shear and torsion. The torsion is what eats the bearings. Bearings will withstand a certain amount of torsion. Another problem comes into effect when the torsion is too much for the axle and the whole unit starts to distort. (You've probably seen the rice racers/ hotwheel cars with the bent rear axles.) Same thing, but they space out by 4" and shouldn't be allowed on the roads. (personal opinion) ;)

Reply to
DougW

Tell me one more time why using a wheel spacer puts any more stress on the wheel bearings than an equivilent offset wheel? In either case, the centerline of the tire (centerline of the load) is the same in relation to the bearing.

Granted, moving the tire out stresses the outer bearing more than it normally gets and that offroad tends to do bad things to suspension but that is not the issue with your statement.

I'm not > Shadow did pass the time by typing:

Reply to
Roy J

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

TJim,

I want to put wider rims and tires on. I don't know if the BFG's I have now will expand to fit a wider rim. If not then I'll just have to wait till they wear out to make the change. I am a Jeep newbie and have no idea what this backspacing, lifting and such is all about.

Rich

> > &item=2444355885> > > >

Reply to
Shadow

Exactly my point. There is NO difference to what the bearing sees for laoding between a wheel with a large offset and a spacer/small offset combo.

As I said above, a large off set is bad for bear> Roy J did pass the time by typing:

Reply to
Roy J

Roy J

Reply to