socket size to tighten front wheel bearings on a 86 cj7?

what size socket do I need to tighten the wheel bearings on a 86 cj7 with a Dana 30 front axle? my father has a set that goes all the way up to 2". do the nuts have slots in them or are they just big nut? or do i have to buy the special tool? thanks carmine

Reply to
Jet

It is one big nut with a washer (from behind) bent up to one side, to keep it tight. I use a 2 - 1/16" socket. They sell a special tool (big cheap socket) at you local auto parts store if you don't have it.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Jet ( snipped-for-privacy@bestweb.net) wrote on Thursday 27 November 2003 10:22 pm:

I believe it's 2 1/16", but the standard 2 1/16" isn't usually deep enough to properly torque it. I'd just go ahead and by the special tool. Not only is it cheaper, but you'll be able to do a better job torquing the nuts.

Reply to
Michael White