This gremlin is still eluding me!

I posted last week about my 97 Wrangler 4.0 AT not starting and I'm still trouble-shooting. My current question is "what controls the fuel pump's pressurization cycle?" On my jeep, the fuel pump is running constantly when the ignition is in the "on" position, rather than running for a couple of seconds to pressurize the rail. I think that if I knew what controlled that, I might have a clue on finding my gremlin. There is no juice on the distributor side of the coil. There is fuel pressure at the rail. So far, I have ruled out the crank position sensor, bad ground, the entire throttle body with all attached electrical gizmos, and I have cleaned every electrical connection that I can readily get to under the hood... My plan of action from here is the coil, a short somewhere in the harness, and the PCM. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Junior Samples

Junior Samples did pass the time by typing:

The pump is controlled by the computer. It should run for about two seconds then shut off. It starts running again when the engine fires. Sticky relay? In my Jeep it's the relay center by the battery. About a 9$ part (but the same as the fog or AC relay so they can be swapped)

If the engine doesn't crank (computer doesn't sense the motor has started) within about two cranks it kills the engine by removing power from the ASD relay (which depowers the coil and should also kill the fuel pump) Can't say for certain as your wiring is different from mine.

What your describing could very well be a coil. My ZJ did that last time the coil went south.. And even after I ohmed out the coil (which tested "ok") the coil was still bad inside and would not throw enough of a spark.

They make a spark tester.

New coil is cheap enough, but I'd swap the Pump and ASD relays first.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Junior Samples

Junior Samples did pass the time by typing:

When you do the coil (if you do the coil) make sure you get the upgraded part. Napa has it (and the OEM part is from the same folks) You will know the part because it comes with a voltage reducing adapter cable.

ECHIC409 is the part number. It's not cheap $50 (dang thing went up 10$ since I got mine last year!) If your retired/active duty/civillian napa has a good discount program. Pays to ask. Jeep had a recall on the ignition coil long time ago and this was the part they used.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the heads up on the coil replacement. I knew that I definitely didn't want to go with the Wells replacement. I haven't had good luck with those guys. Currently there is a "Screamin Demon" coil in place that came with a package of supposed upgrades to the ignition system to include a brass terminaled distributor cap/rotor button and sleeved plug wires. I don't know what possesses me not to leave well enough alone but there's a driving force in my soul...

Reply to
Junior Samples

Junior Samples did pass the time by typing:

Tell me about it. Driving force in the soul and draining force in the wallet. :)

Reply to
DougW

Since my last post, I have ruled out the coil, the distributor, and the PCM. I'm left with a short somewhere in the wiring harness. As the Jeep refuses to give me back the codes from the PCM and the fuel guage doesn't register when the key is in on position (yes I'm sure there's gas in there) where is the most likely spot for the short? Between the ignition and the PCM or from the main fuse block and the fuel pump or another unnamed option? Any and all suggestions are appreciated as I am near my wit's end and have seriously begun to consider the efficacy of military grade explosives with regards to this particular problem.

To simplify, here's what's been checked so far (I swap the parts one for one into my wife's JGC and start it up before saying a part is good when possible or used the multimeter as appropriate).

-Throttle body complete with all attached sensors

-Crank position sensor

-Cam position sensor

-Ignition Coil

-PCM

-Plug Wires

-Main grounds at firewill and near dipstick

-Ignition Switch

-Fuel pump relay, ASD relay

Reply to
Junior Samples

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
Junior Samples

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hey Junior, you have to keep those fancy letters to a minimum or Bill might get confused. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker