Ball Joint differences in Spicer/Dana axle Question.

I picked up a new lower ball joint today and went with the heavy duty one that still had a grease nipple.

They also have a light duty one listed.

I was reading the directions and it says for a typical Spicer 44 front end. Well, I have a 30, not a 44.

Does anyone know if they are the same part or do I need to go get the other one?

I am eyeballing them and the deck on the new one appears thicker, I don't think it will fit.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Romain

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I replaced mine with all my other front end parts a couple months ago, think I still have the box end and part # if you want it, from napa, had the grease nipple.

Reply to
Greg

Napa #s are 260-1342 and 260-1343, 81 CJ7 dana 30 upper and lower, not sure which is which though.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks, I am on my way back up there in a moment just to eyeball the 'standard' one. I have a 1342, so it is likely the right one, but man the deck height is so much thicker looking....

This one also has a C ring for the bottom that in no way will even come close to fitting. The bottom isn't thick enough to poke out below my knuckle.

Could just be an optical illusion, I will see.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yup, that was them. It just looked wrong because things were inset.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mine also had the ring with it, but wouldn't stick out enough to put on, and since the ones that came out didn't have it I didn't worry about it.

Reply to
Greg

Well, it's in there, but it didn't fit....

It all came apart really easily because I used antiseize on it back in

99 when I assembled it.

I used the same part numbers as Greg on his, I went back to NAPA to compare the others they have and all were the same size.

As it sits right now, if I was say to have my front wheel slip off a rock or something and it came down hard on the pumpkin, my front wheel could fall off.

There is nothing holding that ball joint in place!!!!

It is supposed to have a C-clip on the bottom, but it is way over 1/8" too short for that clip to go on.

When I was tightening the top ball joint in, instead of it pulling the knuckle up onto the lower ball joint, it started pulling itself out of the top. I had a jack under it with all the weight of the vehicle on it and no go. A construction crew from across the road saw/heard me cussing it out and came over to help. They put an 8' bar in there and pried up pulling it all together with a few convincing hits from my 10 lb BFH.

So both the top and bottom u-joint seated all the way in, but the bottom isn't even slightly close for that c-ring to hold it in place.

Do I just figure gravity will do the job???

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oh, ok, see the other post I just made.

I guess gravity will do the job so the wheel won't just fall of eh?

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I had my knuckles out when I did mine, took 4000 lbs to press them in so I wont worry about anything falling off from my 100 lb wheel slipping off a rock.

Reply to
Greg

LOL!

Ok, it only took me a couple Portuguese construction workers a pry bar and a BFH...

It seemed to stay put, tried it out over the last couple days.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain