timing question

First off, make sure that you set the timing with the vacuum advance unhooked, and with the engine at or below the curb idle speed. If the RPM is too high, you may have some mechanical advance already happening in the distributor. If it is correct already, you may want to bump the timing up a few degrees. It won't hurt anything, but make sure it still cranks over and starts when its hot. Too much timing can cause the engine to kick back against the starter, but a few degrees won't hurt. Also, drive the Jeep and make sure you don't get any pinging. This will hurt an engine over time.

As far as the carb, if it wasnt properly recalibrated for the altitude, your engine is probably running a bit rich. I would recommend dropping a jet size or 2 and reading the plugs. They should be colored a light brown or straw color.

Chris

i recently tuned up my 73 cj5. according to the manual, the timing is supposed to be set at 3 degrees. the vehicle feels a little sluggish.

i have a 258 with a 2 bbl weber carb. plus, i am over 5k feet.

do i need to make adjustments for the altitude or the carb?

hopefully it's not a complete rookie question.

thanks for your help.

matt

I installed a Weber on the 232 in my '76. I'm at 7200 ft, Redline Weber's tech rep suggested opening up the air correction jet one step, which has worked great. FWIW, I also tossed the stock ignition and installed a Performance Distributors DUI kit, turned out to be one of the best mods I made to the Jeep, runs like a top. FWIW, I set the timing on it to 8 degrees. You may want to try advancing it just a bit (no more than 10 degreees BTDC) and see what happens.

Reply to
Jerry McG

thanks for all of the tips.

i downloaded the carb set up from the redline weber site.

oddly enough, the vehicle is running too lean. i turned the mix screw out just over 3 full turns. go figure.

i will replace the jets and go from there.

thanks again for the help,

matt