74 CJ5 CarterCarb question

Hello all,

I have a beater 74 CJ5 (6 cyl) plow jeep with a bad carb. Somewhere along the way the ID tag on the carb got lost so I am having a hard time determining what to replace it with. I need either a replacement carb or the correct Carter YF # for that model cj5. Also what is the easyist way to determine If I have a 258 or a 232? Enlighten me.

GL

Reply to
Litsios/Matthews

We've got 258 engine ID running in a different thread, you're coming in on the tail end of it now.

One way for you to identify your engine is to look at the Engine Day Build Code, stamped on a machined pad on the block below and between the #2 and #3 spark plugs. The 4th character will be a letter that you can look up here:

  1. AMC Engine codes

I'm told that the 258 is really just the 232 engine with a longer crank.

Good luck on the carb, can you back the numbers in by chatting up the local parts counter guy?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

They only made one type of YF for the 258 engine.

A kit for it should be about twenty bucks and is easy to put in.

Mike

Litsios/Matthews wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If he's got an old carb, should he be worried about wear-induced slop at the throttle shaft causing a vacuum leak? A small parts kit won't address that.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Possibly, but it takes a lot of wear to really cause issues. Usually the mix can be adjusted to compensate.

Those old carbs didn't run much of anything vacuum related, just the timing advance and the EGR unlike the newer ones that had to run a dozen different vacuum items, so many they need a reservoir even.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain