Electrical Problems '73 CJ5

I'm having problems with my alternator and need a replacement. I'd like to go ahead and install a higher output alternator. I've installed several electrical components (driving lights, electric fan, fuel injection) and will definately require a higher output alternator when I get a winch in the near future. Can anyone tell me what vehicle type I can get an alternator from that will fit my Jeep or provide some advice on aftermarket alternators. I've looked at Mean Green but they are really expensive and I can't find a Powermaster that is made for my year Jeep. My neighbor has a '00 TJ with 140 amp (I think) alternator. Could I get something like that to fit my Jeep and how would I hook it up.

I'm a decent shade tree mechanic and I've done most all the work to my Jeep but I suck at electrical stuff. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Casey Teague

Casey Teague

I think it depends on which alternator you currently have, but I just did a search for jeep alternator on eBay and several showed up that fit back to

1975. These may work on your CJ as well. Maybe someone else can help out with the interchangeability.

Chris

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III