TJ2002 4L 6cylinder slips when Parked on an incline

I have this strange problem that randomly occurs on my TJ 2002 6 cylinder. If I park it on an steep incline with the parking brake and put it in 2nd gear the jeep will sometimes slip back. As it moves back it slips a couple of inches, stops then slips again. Last week I was on a trail and stopped on a steep incline facing down. I turned off the engine put the brake on and left it in seconde. When I got out, it started to slip, stop, slip stop a couple of inches. What is causing this and can it be fixed. It only happens sometimes.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

First of all don't leave in second. THe lower the gear, the better the holding - I always use reverse as that is the lowest gear.

Reply to
Jeepaholic

You should use first gear or reverse gear when parking. This offers more holding ability then second gear. Also, the rear drum brakes are designed to work much better when stopping in a forward motion. They work very poorly when stopping in a reverse motion.

Make sure your rear drums are cleaned and adjusted properly and the parking brake is adjusted properly. When parking on a very steep hill, apply parking brake hard, put transmission in first or reverse, and also turn the front wheels sharply against a curb, rock, etc.

Tom

Reply to
mabar