tow bar electrics

Hi,

How easy/difficult is it to wire up the two bar electrics on my Cherokee Jeep, 1997? And does anyone have a preferred type of tow bar to fit?

Thnaks a lot in advance.

Derek

Reply to
derek

Could you explain a little more about this 'tow bar'?

Are you towing something with it or are you putting it on the front to tow the Cherokee?

Mike

Mike Romain

There is a pigtail connection in the wiring harness tucked into the bodywork behind the spare tire bracket.

In my XJ the connectors were wrapped in a foam sheet to prevent rattling.

The most time consuming part of the wiring is taking the spare out and putting it back as the connector is plug-n-play.

Reply to
billy ray

It's just to tow a trailer. From the rear of the vehicle.

Tks

Reply to
derek

You can get cheap universal kits that crimp onto the existing wires to make the hitch plug, but the best is the harness adapter from the $tealer. The crimp kits fail down the road and cause troubles usually.

You can buy remote magnetic lights to plug in from hitch to the towed vehicle. I have seen replacement bulbs for the rear lights that come with 20" of wire so they can plug into the hitch plug too.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

One question you want to ask yourself: Does this trailer have brakes? If it is a simple two wheel trailer, or a U-Haul type trailer with surge type brakes, then things are "fairly" simple. If the trailer will have electric brakes, then wiring is a little more elaborate, with an electric brake controller to worry about. If it is a full blown camping trailer, with a host of lights and other appliances, then we may be talking about an auxiliary battery with an isolation switch, a land line converter, etc. It all depends on what your requirements are. The more of the story you can tell up front, the more we can tell you about how difficult it is going to be.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton