Want to buy my first Jeep Wrangler.

Hello Everybody,

I'm looking to purchase my first Jeep Wrangler.

Don't want to get anything too fancy, or too tricked up. My wife and I will use it for hiking and camping trips, and for driving on snow covered roads and skiiing trips.

I went to my local Jeep dealer and they had a nice new model with minimal bells and whistles for about $20K. Too much for me to afford, so I'll probably have to get a used Wrangler.

I've seen them advertised on Craigslist, etc., in my price range. Usually these are mid- to late-nineties.

Most of these seem to have about 100K miles. What is the life expectancy of a Wrangler?

A lot of the Wranglers have been lifted. Does lifting the Wrangler reduce its life, or cause other problems?

If anyone has any comments, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

Also, I think I'd rather get the 4 cylinder engine because I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, and hopefully the 4 cyl. engine gets better mileage. Any comments on 4 vs. 6 cylinder. (My favorite engine is a straight six, like in my Dodge Ram diesel.)

Thanks in advance.

The Rocket Man

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

Treated well, 200,000 miles plus. Got for the 6 cylinder 4 litre; the gas mileage isn't that different and the

4 cylinder can't get out its own way. Plus the engine is remarkably durable and torquey. A lifted Wrangler will have more wear on the drivetrain, hubs, steering components most likely.

For your requirements, I'd be looking at an XJ (Cherokee) to be honest - you can't fit much in a Wrangler. Certainly not skis, and I guess you would struggle a bit to attach them outside with a soft-top.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Like Dave said go for a 6 cyl. You could remove the rear seat to fit more stuff, but Wranglers don't hold a lot.

I would look for a stock rig not a lifted one as you don't know if the prior owner did the lift the right way. Lifts mean bigger tires, depending on the lift size and tire size a SYE could be needed as well as new axles/gearing. For what you describe a stock rig would do fine. As Dave said a Cherokee may be better suited to you needs.

Reply to
ufatbastehd

If you can afford it, get the six. The 4cyl is ok, but the six is always better. I'll third the Cherokee XJ reccomendation. Cheap, relaible, and a ton of fun. Wranglers are all of the above except not cheap.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Like Dave said, the Cherokee might suit your needs a little better, BUT it MIGHT be worth a look to see if you can find a used four door Wrangler in a price you can live with. A little more room, but still a Wrangler.

Reply to
Peter Stolz

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for the comments... I appreciate your input.

One thing is I guess I didn't really mention that I currently own a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, so the roominess factor doesn't isn't an issue. But no matter.

My charming wife and I went to test-drive a Wrangler today and she's hooked. The ride wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I'd been told. The

6-cylinder had plenty of 'go' and it's a straight 6 so that's my favorite engine configuration (I don't like V-6s).

My charming wife had kind of been thinking of a Ford Escape or comparable GM product, but no more... It's a Wrangler for her or nothing. (Works for me, eh?)

For now, however, it IS nothing, because I can't afford one at this time. :-(

But everyone has to have a dream car, right?? Hopefully, I'll be Jeeping along with the rest of you sooner rather than later.

The Rocket Man

P.S. Meanwhile I'll keep reading this newsgroup and the websites and drooling.

Reply to
Giskard Reventlov

I think the ride on the Wrangler is pretty good really for what it is (beam axles and SWB).

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne