Wrangler YJ ignition switch problem

Here's what happened: I started my jeep ('87 YJ 4.2L) and the starter kept cranking, would not disengage. I didn't know what was happening and drove off. It sucked all the juice out of my battery and burnt up the starter.

My first thought was that my solenoid (the part that sends juice from the battery to the starter) was stuck. I replaced my solenoid, starter motor, and battery. When everything was in place I connected the leads on my battery and the jeep turned over (and would have started) even though the ignition switch (the one on the steering column) was set to 'off'. So I think the ignition switch on the steering column is stuck in the 'start' position.

How do you replace that thing? Where is it, is it right there where you put the key in? Do I need to take the steering wheel off and get to it that way? Chilton is pretty useless here, they really don't show you where it is or how to get at it.

Next question - which wire on my solenoid comes from the steering column? I'm considering a simple 'on-off' switch and a starter button simply because I can't find where the starter switch is on the steering column. Any advice?

Reply to
lsaugier

The switch is down at the bottom of the column on the top.

I 'think' there are two green wires on the starter relay that control the starter. I also know if you have these reversed, the starter just cranks.

Did any other wires smoke out?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Here's what happened: I started my jeep ('87 YJ 4.2L) and the starter
Reply to
Mike Romain

I don't have any evidence that there are any wires burnt out. Given that I've replaced the firewall solenoid, battery, and starter, is there anything else besides an ignition switch that would cause the starter motor to crank uncontrollably? Is it possible I wired the new firewall solenoid wrong and that's what's causing it? That seems unlikely to me.

The ignition switch is pretty difficult to get at - I'm still not sure I'm even able to see it. Is there anything in particular I should look for (many wires, few wires, blue clip, white clip, etc) to know that I've definitely found the ignition switch? I see the ignition rod... thingy... disappear down in there somewhere but can't see where it goes.

Reply to
lsaugier

The switch is at the bottom end of the rod.

As I mentioned, there are two green wires on that firewall relay/solenoid unit that are easy to mix then it just starts with battery power.

Try swapping them.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Check the negative ground cable. Battery to block. I had one go bad and it did the same thing.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

A short in the starter and a low batter will instantly cook a solenoid if, nothing happen until you again turned the ignition switch to start. Column:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III