97 Wrangler ignition key switch

I have a 97 wrangler 4cyl w/automatic transmission. When I put the vehicle in park I cannot remove the key from the steering column. Is this a mechanical linkage that I can see or is there an electrical interlock with the transmission? Thank you in advance.

Mike Burch

Apache Junction, AZ

Reply to
Mike Burch

Mike Burch did pass the time by typing:

move the steering wheel a bit, your probably up against the wheel lock. .. and because I've seen it before .. make sure the key is in the off and not in the ACC position.

Reply to
DougW

I don't seem to have an ACC position on my '97...what's up with that? Whatever is causing Mike's problem could be the same thing that won't let me remove the key in gear even in the off/lock positions.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Try moving the steering wheel and jiggling the shifter. As far as it goes, on my 91 KX, I can remove the key while it's running!

Shades of the old Chevy!

Regards,

DAve

Reply to