2000 Kia Sportage----No Start

Hi I have a 2000 Sportage and it just died going down the highway. I had it towed to a local repair shop and they can not figure it out. This is what they told me: It has good compression Has spark, injection pulse, and the fuel injectors are good.

They said that no gas is getting to the spark plugs.

I am thinking about bringing it to the local Kia dealership to have them look at it, but they are pretty expensive.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks, Sara

Reply to
SaraJane

Well it could be one of two things. One your fuel pump went out or two (which happened to me but not sure how ) your computer got unpluged. What i mean about the second one is under your dashboard by your feet straight up is one or two big silver boxes with what looks like one big computer cable pluging into it. Make sure its connected or unplug then replug it back in. What happened to me was it would act like normal when i went to start it(lights on dash go on etc) but no turnover or nothing. had my mechanic do tell me same thing exactly. After two days came to find out that the computer cable kinda came unpluged which caused our fuel pump to not get any electricity which caused no gas to go where it needed to go. Go figure.

Reply to
Phasma

the mechanic should have been looking at the data stream, that's how you find out what's wrong. you can buy an OBDII reader for under $75. More then likely the culprit is the fuel pump relay, specifically the ground pin in the 2000. DO NOT use an after market relay as a replacement, use ONLY a kia relay.there are 2 relays that should be replaced together. Having changed one recently on my 2000. Also make sure the chassis ground is clean and making good contact. This car is a rolling computer. Nothing happens that isn't recorded in the data stream.

you might check http/wwww.automotiveforums/vbulletin/f254 or scrool downto kia forums. there is a kia with the same problem. the members aremostly kia mechanics, and helped me out many times on my 2 sportages.

Reply to
helix