Anyone know when they stopped making V8 110s?

I've got an original 110 V8 hardtop from 1988 (ex-emergency services and still bright orange inside). I don't see many V8 110s, and all are CSWs, does anyone know when they stopped making the V8 110s, and would a hardtop be a special order or were they listed in 1988 ?

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Well, from XA (start of Td5), there is a 90,110 & 130 chassis option for V8 (and 2.5 Petrol & 2.5 Diesel!!), so it's quite possible that, in some markets, you can still get one - not in the UK though, unless Special Vehicles will do you one if you've won the lottery. By 1988, I'd imagine a hard top would have been a special order, but most of the Utilities etc used V8's until the 200Tdi had proved itself, so while being "unusual" it wouldn't rate as "rare".

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Thanks Richard,

Mine is dressed up as a Defender by a previous owner, but I thought the V8s had probably died out by the time Defenders came in (but not sure when that was either). I heard the police had some 110 V8s, but I just don't see many around - probably due to the cost of fuel !!

I am surprised there is a V8 option now - which engine is that ? Its not the same engine as Ford put in the XK Jag is it ??

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

I would agree its around the time the Defender came in (91/92)

My V8 engine/gearboxs/diffs were taken from a J reg 110V8 County that was bought "off the shelf" at the time (big shelf mind), so I would say around that time....

There would have been SVO trucks and of course the 50th Anniversary Defender.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

It's the Rover V8 - still being made, by er, someone, in the West Country. There's probably an internal parts book for some markets, e.g. the Turkish factory who's name has gone out of my head just now, where they make most stuff locally, though to LR or "approved" designs - they could be candidates for the V8? The main books just seem to have the big bits in, like chassis.

Defenders, and derivatives of, are made and/or assembled all over the world - I seem to recall about 20 on the last list I saw, though the South American production has stopped, so it might be 19 now....

It would be interesting to get an authorative breakdown on this overseas production/licencing, but I suspect in some cases it might be a bit "political". There's certainly rather more Defenders or being made than the UK production figures indicate.

Oktar, thats the Turkish outfit - technically an inedpendent compnay.

Reply to
beamendsltd

That is the latest I have heard of - mine is E reg. I am beginning to think most were CSWs.

Did that J reg one still have the Santana box ? I suppose the end date for the V8 LWB must be the end date for the Santana box as well (at least in the UK) ?

My Santana box is a little truck-like (even though I am running it on EP multi-grade), but seems to be standing up to the upgraded V8 I put in it some 30,000 miles ago. Trouble is the 110 bulkhead is rusting and the chassis isn't great. One of the reasons I am asking is I am considering my options for the future. Maybe I'll have to do the BIG rebuild on this one, bulkhead and chassis (urgh!).

Was there a LWB version of the 50th anniversary? That would do nicely for me. Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Otokar.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Cheshire Steve writes

Don't think so, but if there was it would have been a CSW.

Reply to
hugh

Thought they were a bookshop?

Stuart