diff problem?

Strange low speed maneuvering slowing,jumping from the front wheels seems to go away at higher speed. Think maybe something in the front dif or t box. I have gear oil covering lower plate on t box and drum area.Would this get cleaned out by draining from plug or require more.

I was told 2 seals, 1 on the auto trans side, had to be replaced for $700. I don't have.Maybe a head gasket and valve covers to for another $800>. Barely dripping but I am concerned about the jumping. 96 disco auto v8 ,maybe It will wear away? I can do minor stuff if I have to.Thanks

Reply to
news

You haven't got the transfer box (centre diff.) locked have you?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
news

check the adjuctment of your handbrake shoes. sometimes the shoes still rub the drum a little when the handbrake is off (is it a 'hand' brake where you are?) and this causes the front propshaft to judder sometimes at low speed.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In message , news writes

Classic symptom of centre diff either not releasing or locked up for some other reason ... Do the obvious before the difficult - handbrake on, take it out of gear and jack up a front wheel, you should be able to rotate it in both directions with the front prop turning, if not it's diff investigation time. Start with the linkage to make the lever is actually connected to the box before doing anything major ... if the diff-lock indicator goes on and off chances are it's ok, if permanently 'on' the linkage is probably not doing it's job for whatever reason, if permanently 'off' the bulb or switch may be faulty anyway! If it doesn't look right, investigate the linkages. Then look at the t/box itself!

Reply to
AJG

Reply to
news