Disco Read Door Lock

The rear door on my 95 Disco will not open on the central lock. The manual internal lock feels soft like there is an overcenter device that has failed. Also the electrical actuator move up and down freely but again there is no interlock apparent. I have the manual but this is no help in understanding what is wrong and it give very little in formation. Can anyone tell me what device causes the positive click when the lock is operated. I am looking for a broken overcenter spring mechanism but can't find anything fits. Its also really difficult to inspect the system when installed. Any guidance much appreciated Neil

Reply to
Neil

Make sure that the outside handle is fully returned. The mechanism has a tendency to seize due to corrosion. You open the door but when you shut it the latch doesn't fully disengage, preventing you from opening the door again.

To open the door you need to push the handle back fully then operate it as you would normally. A good spray with WD40 followed by spray on grease will solve it. You can get to the handle mechanism from the outside. Remove the Land Rover badge for access.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Reply to
Neil

Ohhhh Neil,

It is bound to be the circular spring in the lock. The symptoms are classic. Lubrication is one issue, however, the other issue is the crosshead screws that Land Rover use for the lock mechanism, it is impossible to fully tighten them. The screws work lose over a period of time and then weaken the spring.

The bad news is that it is a new full lock mechanism and it is £50. Fairly easy job to change once you have dismantled the door but a pain for a 10 pence spring.

understanding

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Andrew Thanks for the info. Where is the spring located? Is it in the unit that forms the lock mechanism attaced to the door where the overcenter cams are located. Or is in inside the electrical actuator, whould it help if I put a drawing of the system on the internet? Thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil

On or around Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:59:25 +0100, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

can't they be loctited?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is in the lock mechanism and it is impossible to buy the spring.

It looks at first as though it is on the actuator but it certainly isn't.

Put loctite on the screws when you replace the lock and replace them with slotted stainless steel, much easier than the crossheaded ones.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

I'd leave it well alone, get the keys out every time and when your stopped at lights the little thieving bastards can't nick anything..... Especially if your travel abroad!

Niel.

Reply to
NJF

"Andrew Renshaw" wrote in news:k_ABc.271$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net:

I have noise with my disco 300 TDI, it's not clear but sometimes after parking my car, i try to go, the starter run but the motor not run. Otherwise the car run but after 10 second to start turn off . So i try to restart after six or seven time car run. It's all ok but sometimes appears this proble I suppose there is a problem with

-The block of the key

-alarm equipment

-pump

or other but the èproblem is not to clear so it's impossible to solve it, some3one help me?

setfano italy

Reply to
sv61