Disco rear door lock

Hi peeps,

Need a door catch for the rear door and also for the front passenger door. Land Rover have the drivers side (which is good, I can now get in and out without three hands) but the other two are on back order with no delivery date.

Does anyone know a source?

BTW - it turns out that the drivers door catches are made by GM (they've even got the badge on!) so I don't know if there is a GM part number for it. Probably £4.50 off a Tigra!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Nope - neither does Warren. But if you do find a source, order two, as ours is knackered on the 200Tdi too :-(

Reply to
Mother

I know - he was telling me all about it yesterday! I reckon there could be a certain kudos to getting a part that Warren can't....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Not surprised they've run out of stock - this has to be THE most common part failure on pre Series II Discovery's! Try lubricating the rear door lock by removing the badge and squirting a large amount of oil (but you've probably heard that one by now!).

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Tim,

Which part of the catch has broken?

Usually I find it is a small (12mm diameter) torsion spring on the lock itself that corrodes and stops the latch "flicking" between locked and unlocked properly. If you need to pull up the button on the door that pops up and down and operate the door handle at the same time the diagnosis is usually that very spring.

I have improvised one from a wire key ring that the keys come on when you buy a new padlock. It took around 10 mins with a couple of pairs of pliers. You have to take off the lock though. This is relatively easy with rear doors, not that bad with the tailgate, but is an absolute sod with the front doors as the look is behind the window frame.

Here are some measurements from one of the springs. The gauge used was a cheapo one, so don't go complaining to me if you get some made up and they don't work.

diameter 12mm Wire 0.7mm Number of turns 2 With opposing tangential hooks 90degrees to each other (size of hook measured outside wire is 4.5mm wide, 3mm long)

It's worth having a look around your parts box and the places where you put any odd bits as you may find something similar that will do the job.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Toni

Sheffield

Reply to
Toni

This diagnosis matches my rear door to a T. Is the spring difficult to locate in the lock mechanism?

TIA

Reply to
Mike Ross