Getting Battery Out of Disco! How do you do it??!

Have spent the last half hour pissing off my neighbours.

How do I get the battery out of my 300TDi 1998 Discovery, so that I can replace it with a new one? Every time I disconnect it the alarm goes off.

I am following the handbook instructions which say...

Turn the ignition key to position 'on' and then 'off' and remove the key and within 15 seconds disconnect the battery, negative lead first.

(This is not helped by the fact that there is no definition of position 'on', all the rest of the handbook refers to positions '0', 'I', 'II' and 'III'.)

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Thanks

M.

300 TDI Defender - which won't start 300 TDI Disco - which won't start
Reply to
McBad

It's "on", as in "dash warning lights on" - what would be called "ignition on" on a petrol motor. Position I won't do it. Worked for me every time. If this doesn't work, summat's wrong. Tom's suggestion about the jump leads is a good 'un.

Reply to
Rich B

OK, thanks. I have tried again but it didn't work for me (turned key, saw all normal starting lights on dash, turned key off, hopped out (with the key) and pulled off the negative lead, siren goes off).... so I just put up with the noise and the twitching curtains and swopped the batteries over anyway.

Result, it started fine....

...but now, having turned it off again, it won't start. Turns over fine, loads of life in the battery, but just won't fire. :o(

I am getting so bored of fighting with this vehicle; I've got to drive

150 miles to work tomorrow morning and it looks as if it is going to let me down again. It was running fine this morning (and, after being jump started did 100 miles without missing a beat) now it just doesn't want to play.

Scratching head and flicking through Haynes manual.

:o(

M.

Reply to
McBad

In message , McBad writes

Hi

It is a pretty common fault.

Several of my customers are like that.

You just need to be quick at swapping the battery ;-)

Reply to
Marc Draper

Ooops!

OK, I'll get my hat!

As everyone will have spotted this was because I'd been pfaffing around with the back door open and the engine immobiliser had kicked in.

Mobile again for the time being. :o)

M.

Disco 300 Tdi - working fine Defender 90 300Tdi - not working at all.

Reply to
McBad

At least you'll be able to get to work tomorrow!

BTW, I'm told the rear wiper doesn't work with the back door open either.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I would say LOL, only it aint funny.

Hopped in the car this morning at 6.00am to drive up to London and... ...surprise, surprise... it won't start. Engine is turning over fine to my brand new battery but it just won't fire up. And, this time for sure, the immobiliser has not kicked in. This has now cost me a days work and I am seriously unhappy (as will my client be).

I will be talking to the garage from which I recently bought this car later this morning, with a view to them taking it back and giving me a full refund. I will then go out and see if I can find a nice reliable Ford Focus or VW Golf.

Regards,

M.

Reply to
McBad

Just for info, the saga continues. Garage sent a trained land rover mechanic over to the house on a motorbike this afternoon. He removed the radio and was expecting to find a fault with something called a 'spider', only there was no spider. He pulled everything apart and tested every fuse and eventually found a suspect connection in the black plug where the immobiliser circuit goes to the fuel pump in the engine bay. Replacing this seemed to give reliable starting and an end to the problems. Smiles all round.

However, I stopped for sandwiches at Reading Services this evening on the M4. After a ten minute break attempting to restart the car gave exactly the same non-firing symptoms as before, as well as a strong urge to jump in front of a big truck. Sat for half an hour waiting for the AA (I've got them on speed-dial now) and then, out of boredom, tried starting it again. Fired up perfectly. Cancelled the AA and came on here to Surrey. No idea if it will start again tomorrow to go to the clients site.

Also this evening when i was trying to start it there was a feint buzzing noise from the area around the back of the radio; that is new. Sometimes before and sometimes after turning the key. No idea what is causing any of this.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be further instalments in this story...

Cheers, M.

Reply to
McBad

Just for the record - simply unplug the siren before removing battery. Makes life much more bearable!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

I don't think it's that easy! TonyB

Reply to