hot disco

apparently the TDi was indicating up in the red on the motorway. Mother and Father off to the far east (Norfolk) by way of an overnight stop at Thrapston travlelodge.

just had another call: they stopped and let it cool a bit, then put the heater on hot, and continued steadily, at which it was fluctuating up and down from hot to below hot.

when it first showed hot, it still had coolant up to the level, or nearly so, and the ancillary belt is present and correct. Shouldn't be an iffy water pump as it was replaced not long ago.

They're under instructions to see what the gauge says in the morning when the engine's definitely cold - could be an iffy gauge or more likely iffy sender.

failing that, sticky thermostat, perhaps, not opening fully? Either that or the rad, I reckon. It's not been overheating locally though, so far as I know, and it didn't overheat 'til well into the journey today. Or maybe a collapsed rad hose, but I think they're all reasonably tidy. Spose it might have an air lock in the engine, but I don't see why given that the coolant wasn't low.

They've not been thrashing it.

Any of you anywhere near Thrapston? There's no way I can get to look at it. They're supposed to be at a funeral in Norwich a 11 ish tomorrow morning, which don't leave a lot of time though. My inclination would be to pull the thermostat on the offchance, and see how it went. Better it runs too cool than too hot.

If anyone feels like doing a knight in shining armour bit...?

failing that I suppose they can always get onto the RAC if it recurs tomorrow.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:29:43 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

Austin, its about 20 miles from me

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:33:56 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

what's yer armour looking like?

I'd not be so bothered, but we've already trashed one head on that motor due to overheating, although on that occasion it was ignored until it was well cooked, I imagine it was caught much sooner this time.

email me (remove the obvious from the reply address) if you're willing to go and have a look, and I can give you a mobile number to contact mother, hopefully. That's if she's not left the phone in the motor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:07:16 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

you have mail

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Only just seen this, but i'm in Rushden - About 10 mins away.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:00:18 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

yes, 10 litres of water in the cooling system....

Ran the engine at idle to find mucho bubbling at the thermostat filler plug, having filled it through there.

Went for a 5 mile trip, came back to find temperature halfway up the scale, and exhaust gases very hot (compared to my 200 TDi). Cooling system well pressurised.

Ran at fast idle for about a minute, then started to get small bubbles in the header tank, so head gasket is suspect IMHO.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs