Disco 300 Tdi running on ...

Just been out to change the oil, air and fuel filters. All went well, started her up again, got a few hiccups 'cos the fuel was empty, but it didn't stop then went for a drive round the block, all fine. So stopped, turned ignition off. Sat for at most five seconds, started it up again, started straight away no hesitation so turned off ... Pulled key out, but took a second to realise the engine was still running!

Put key back in, turned to on, glow plug lights came on, let them go off, turned off and removed key and still running again!

Key back in, turned on then off again and this time it stopped ....

What gives? Anyone any clue. It's never done this before.

My best guess is that the ignition circuit is still 'live while the glow plugs are warming up and 'cos the engine was cold, the plugs were staying on longer, hence keeping the ignition circuit live until they got hot enough to shut off properly. I haven't convinced myself that's correct though .... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

A wee piece of dislodged s**te from chaging the fuel filter made the stop solenoid valve stick? I'd be pulling the solenoid off the injector pump and checking it for foreign matter (as this is also a symptom of a pump that is tearing it's innards apart from insufficient fuel lubricity).

Reply to
EMB

Failing that Worth checking the plenum chamber for oil contamination, when I stripped Miles down there was old gummy oil in evidence - result of running after head gasket blowing ( not by me ) and that nasty EGR valve supplying soot.. If there is oil then work your way back by way of the intercooler just in case the turbo is weeping. Cutting off the ignition cuts off the fuel supply from the pump not from other sources. Derek

Reply to
Derek

That's potentially likely, the EGR is still there on mine, though the electrics to it are disconnected so it doesn't work. I swapped it out about a year or so ago, but put it back in again for an MOT (Don't ask me why, I dunno!) and I do know it was a bit gungy.

I'll check it tomorrow and probably put the EGR blanking plate back on.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It is VERY unlikely it is anything to do with the EGR or oil in the inlet manifold....If it were running on unmetered oil it would be making strange noises, smoking and reving its nuts off !!!

Stick with EMB's advice. It will be muck in the stop solenoid that is preventing it from working properly. Or and unusual electrical fault.

I have some 300's that do it only after being serviced and only do it 2 or 3 times then behave for the rest of the year.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Looks like it's an electrical problem. Solenoid looks fine, but ... the other night, a week or so ago I turned on, everything fine except the radio, heater etc lights wouldn't come on. Twatted the top of the dash and all lit up and I didn't think about it again!

I suspect an earth fault now ... somewhere behind the dash ... :(

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It's relatively unlikely to be an earth fault - dirty fuse contacts or a dodgy relay are much more likely.

Reply to
EMB

Reply to
karangahape

That's true, but not in this case. A diesel running on its own oil will run at maximum revs and ultimately self-destruct. The OP only said it was still running with the key out, so it looks like a failure of the cut-off solenoid, as others have pointed out.

Top-post corrected, no extra charge.

Reply to
Rich B

In message , karangahape writes

Just because it is in a forum it has to be true ! Have a read of some of the crap on here !!

Reply to
Marc Draper

Oi!

Reply to