Ignition Light - On!

The ignition light on my 200tdi 110 stays on whenever the engine is running. The landy runs ok and the battery appears to be ok, no loss of charge. I have noticed that voltage drops (via dashboard guage) when I have lights etc on, but only slightly.

The problem started after BOTH the bolts that hold the alternator onto the engine block fell out (or were never there as I've only had it 9 months). The loss of the bolts had caused the adjuster arm (made up name I think, but it's the length of metal that you'd under one bolt on to increase / decrease then belt tension) snapped as a result of vibrations from the missing bolts.

I had this welded back together and put new bolts etc in to get things working again. The belt tension appears ok.

So what I basically want to know is this likely to be a problem with the alternator, or could it be that I've not got enough tension on the belt? I have wondered if where I re-bolted the adjuster arm to the bottom of the engine block I hadn't got a sufficient angle to get enough tension on the belt.

If it helps with dianosis the light appears to dim slightly at tickover.

Help would be much appreciated !

Cheers,

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

On or around 17 Jul 2006 11:00:18 -0700, "Embo" enlightened us thusly:

check the voltage. I suspect that you've got dodgy electronics in the alternator. Also check whether the alternator should have an earth strap, some do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had this problem on mine (ignition light staying on), everything kept going fine for a week then battery wouldn't hold charge. When I did try and find the fault (I always try the ignore it it might go away fix first) it was the big thick wire from the alternator had melted where it touched the engine and was earthing. New wire soon fixed it!

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

More than likely a voltage regulator problem. If not, could be a few things. Check the battery too. If it's not holding charge it could give the same result!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the wire to see if it's melted as the battery is holding a charge really well.

If it wasn't for the light I wouldn't know anything was wrong.

Cheers,

Gavin.

Reply to
Embo

On or around 17 Jul 2006 14:46:56 -0700, "Embo" enlightened us thusly:

earthing of the small wire to the alternator will cause the light to come on on too. Unless it's the small wire that feeds the rev counter, in which case it'll make the rev counter not work.

light on dimly is sometimes a diode problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Also check *all* connections between alternator output and battery +ve and earth leads as a dirty joint can cause a voltage difference across each end of the warning lamp resulting in current flow across the bulb whilst running and less on tickover because the alternator output is less. If the alternator actually fell off there could be physical damage to the alternator or reg/rectifier unit, take it off and get it tested, most places don't charge for this but my money is on a dirty connection (could even be ignition circuit).

HTH, Martin

Reply to
Oily