Ignition warning light stays on

Hello All,

I don't know if anyone has had experience of the same or a similar problem to the one I'm having, if so they may ne able to help. The ignition light on my M regd (1994)peugeot 405 1900TD stays on when the ignition is turned off and the key has been removed from the switch. Jump leads will not start the car but after 4 days of charging the battery did. Leave the battery connected for a short while the light comes back on, disconnect the battery the light comes on on reconnection but goes off as soon as the car is started. I thought at first this was an alternator fault but the alternator is charging. Can anyone please give me an idea of what the problem may be and how to rectify it?

Thanks in advance Regards Dave

Reply to
Dave

By ignition light do you mean the illuminated symbol of a battery (red i believe?)

This tells you that your battery is not being charged fully (though it may/may not be charging enough to still work. ) That probably means your alternator is packing up (but not completely) - I'd buy a cheap volt meter (multimeter) or borrow one and measure the battery voltage with the engine running - below 13v and you have a problem.

Are your jump leads v.cheap? If so they wont work.

Dave wrote:

Reply to
405 TD Estate

The jump leads are good quality ones and I have used them on numerous vehicles. The light I mean is the red battery light but it does not stay on when the engine is running. If I turn the car off altogether and remove the ignition key and leave it for a few minutes the red battery warning light comes on again.

Thanks for the advice Regards Dave

Reply to
Dave

A friend of mine with the same car (405 1.9TD) had exactly the same problem last week.

It turned out to be the alternator. There are 2 diodes in the alternator, which you can't get into, and they failed. This causes a short circuit and this is why you get a red battery light.

A new alterator is required - should be able to get one for 40 quid.

Dave wrote:

Reply to
blister91

Thanks for that Blister, looks like a trip to the scrappy then. I aren't intending keeping the car after it runs out of test in February so I don't intend to spend much on it if I can help it.

Regards Dave

Reply to
Dave

40 quid?? i wish they where that cheap. i payed £95 for mine and it is 120 amps output.
Reply to
Chris