Maxi Drive Locking Diffs

My 90 has locking diffs in the front and back.

Ive just replaced all the front swivel service components, and put it all back together nicely.

Somehow, the front diff is now permanently locked.

Its locked and unlocked via an air compressor, and there is a light on the dash when it is fully engaged - This light is not on but the diff is defo locked.

Bloody thing.

Any one know anything about locking diffs?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Are you double sure it's locked? If you haven't given it the air, the locker can't lock? When you say 'all the service' items, what have you done

*exactly* to the swivels etc?

It will be simple, just like the owner ;)

Reply to
Nige

Ive got the front in the air, and the front wheels turn together, the same way.

Just doing some googleing and it seems that the selector for might have come off the little piston thing.

I replaced the oil seal on the back of the swivel housing, the oil seal on the back of the chrome ball, the top and bottom pins, the two taper bearings and all the gaskets. CV joint is good, as are the wheel bearings. Infacet they look nearly new.

It steers lock to lock fine on axle stands.

Ill have tuesday off work to re investigate :)

IT WILL BE FIXED FOR XMAS!!!!!

(i hope)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Check all connections are tight and no leaks.

I had Kamm diff locks on my 90. They had an internal spring to hold the diff lock out and make sure it didn't drift back in, which can be quite amusing on tarmac - NOT

Reply to
hugh

hugh uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Mark,

I'm guessing you've tried the obvious switch it on and flick it off in the hope it sorts it self. Other than stating the obvious I'm going to be utterly lost in this thread.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Found this on the internet...

My bet is that the little yellow leaver that moves the red dog is not connected, and thats why its always engaged. It seems that they cut a whole in the axle to bolt the actuator on, so plan is to remove that tuesday and have a squizz.

All else fails ill just burn it and take the golf up stanage. Im sure we could drag it to the top. At least ill be warm :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I suppose the other option is to remove a halfshaft! Sounds dodgy but could be done ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Fixed.

The little bit that gets pushed pulled by the actuator had come off the dog which slides on the half shaft.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

That sounds like a ball ache to sort... Did you manage to be able to do it in situ or have to drop the diff?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Now, this is where MaxiDrive have been really clever.

When they fit all this, the actuator is welded ontop of the axle. Before they weld it, they have to plasma cut a hole in to axle casing for the actuator to fit into. This means that once you remove the actuator bit, you can get access to the little dog that slides on the half shaft.

Its a really clever design, that means it can be fixed with ease if it ever broke.

This post from Australia was really helpful :)

Mark Solesbury

Cor! It's nice when it works out like that, I'd have been steering well clear (or trying with a locked diff!) after the initial diagnosis but like you say that is truely cunning.

Just shows what a cracking tool 'tinternet is too!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Mark Solesbury wibbled

Heheheh, that's neat. Makes ARB's look a bit 'Heath Robinson'.

Reply to
Paul - xxx