oil in spheres on range 1986

i have found the square end plugs to put oil into the globes, but cannot get any in. does the steering need to be on lock to fill each side? all the best

Reply to
bern

Are you using the right plugs? There should be one at the top, for filling, and one at the bottom, for draining.

You shouldn't need to be at full lock to fill them.

Many vehicles have been changed to use One-Shot Grease (available as a LR part) instead of EP90. If yours are full of grease, you might not have much room for oil as well.

David

Reply to
David French

Oh, by the way, in case anybody with a newer LR is scratching their head, LR deleted the drain plug some time in the 90s IIRC.

David French

hello, the one on the top of the hubs are the ones I meant. nearside had a bit of oil in when i adjusted the bearings, the offside had something that looked like a mixture of green bearing grease with a little oil in it.

I am doing the bearings because of a VIOLENT shaking that turns up every now and again, and I have changed wheels, greased all the greasy bits, and swapped a few knackerd bushes. Props seem ok, and know I amheading into the globes, doing the bearings first.

after seeing what goo was inside, I expected to be able to put some oil in through the plugs, but for some reason couldnt.

cheers

David French wrote:

Reply to
bern

The greeny goo sounds like One-Shot Grease to me, although if it's oily somebody may have put it in without draining the EP90 first. In theory it's a once-only application (hence the name); if you wanted to you could try to wash it out using copious quantities of something like WD40, and refill, or you could bung some more in, although it may be that yours is already full of the stuff in which case you won't be able to get more in.

Is the shaking definitely from the front? You may want to speak to somebody on this group about steering pre-load, I've never absorbed the specifics but it rings a bell as a source of vibration problems.

How about the steering damper? Is it OK?

Reply to
David French

cheers for the reply,

so the oil shouldnt be a problem. Steering preload.....new to me.

I had an 1990 range with brilliant suspension and steering. After flogging it to my mate, and buying an older, jacked up manual, I found that my old one had a handling kit worth a grand or so fitted. Live and learn :)

after the mad shakes, I have got into the spheres because there was a bit of play in them. Heres hoping my tinkering will have cured it.

it doesnt happen 65 up just around the 50 mark and then it is with you down to 30. Two sets of wheels, both sets balanced, and it is worse on normal 205 16's, rather than the one the car came with, some daft 15 inch rim bf goodrich big tyres about 235 profile high walls anyway thanks for that bern

David French wrote:

Reply to
bern

Have a look in here -

- I found it veryuseful and a few articles on wheel shimmy and pre-loading hubs etc. Putting the steering on lock makes it much easier to get oil or on-shot in the hubs - if you are using one-shot, warm it in a bucket of very hot water for a while first.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

The swivels (globes) need a certain amount of pre-load applied to them before tightening to stop the judering you describe developing. I believe they need 20nm of preload.

HTH.

Reply to
Exit

On or around Sat, 08 May 2004 22:04:42 +0100, bern enlightened us thusly:

check yer steering damper. especially if it shimmies after hitting a bump.

other things that can cause this are panhard rod bushes or steering swivel bearings.

15 inch are usually 31x10.5 tyres, which are approximately the same as 265/75R16 in overall size.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

those are the tyres that are on it.

it doesent shimmy at all, just starts resonating madly, then goes away. As I said, I put normal rims on, and if anything it got worse. not a balancing problem. however, the steering swivels i have not yet took apart.

I'll be testing my work on it in a bit, so wish me luck :) bern

Aust> On or around Sat, 08 May 2004 22:04:42 +0100, bern

Reply to
bern

aha!!!!

shims......

took the middle thickness ones out...no more evil shakes...chuffed now :)

bern wrote:

Reply to
bern