OTish - Multiple vehicle/fleet insurance

Since the insurance has run out on most of my motors and my main one runs out in a month or two I was thinking about seeing if i could get one policy to cover them all.

Has anybody got one of these? if so who with?

All my cars are technically 'classic' ones now (though i generally cant insure the main one as such)

I've found heritage insurance so far who say they do one (and am waiting for a call back). I've had the 101/landy with them in the past as they are cheap individually. Who else is there to try?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Two from google. I've never explored this route yet though the 110 is cheap enough as it is.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Tom Woods writes

I heard that Footman James do ... they've just taken over Firebond or Pete Best (can't remember which, I'm with both) so should know what a Land Rover looks like ...

Reply to
AJG

In message , Tom Woods writes

Yup

My motor trade insurance is 450/month for 2 named drivers....... I guess that is not what you are looking for . Doh.

Reply to
Marc Draper

The only thing I would mention is that when I had a policy covering all vehicles, the terms were very different from those of standard insurance regarding your No Claims Bonus - if I had an accident, I lost it all, there was no NCB protection option, and because I didn't have individual insurance, it was lost for all vehicles! I can't exactly recall as it was a while ago now, but as I remember some of the terms of insurance were stricter as well.

So, although it generally works out cheaper, I'd just say it is worth checking exactly what cover you get compared to 'per vehicle' insurance.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

In message , Lee_D writes

Admiral and a LR 101? Methinks telephone droid will get confused. :-)

Reply to
AJG

Footman james are very good, and my dad uses them for 2 classics on the same policy - but they wouldnt cover my 101 because it is camper converted. They know what it is and their 'vintage commercial' dept are very useful, but only if you have an original 101.

unless their terms have changed..

Reply to
Tom Woods

No - im not looking for that much! just to see if i can group a load of limited mileage classic ones.

Reply to
Tom Woods

point taken. I've now got 5 years NCB on my main car and wouldnt want to loose that!

might just try grouping my classics together then and forget adding the main car.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Homefleet is the one your looking for

£1100 (approx)we were quoted fully comp on 300tdi disco 1 , td5 disco 2 , td5 90 , 109 station wagon , 88 series IIa (all listed as modified) and the only query they had was........what do you do with all these landrovers?

We tried admiral....they were more expensive for just 2 of ours than we paid for all of them!

Getting a quote is awkward in so much as you download the quote form and then fax it to them(or find a local broker)

Reply to
johnty

1990 RRC 3.9 Auto Vogue SE. Me + SWMBO: FC + Protected 70% NCD = £245 1993 Vauxhall Astra 1.9 Diesel. Me plus all manner of people including 18 year old provisionally licensed niece TPF+T and, in theory, only 2 years NCD(but see below) ~ £400 IIRC. The niece doubled the premium!

The figures are irrelevant except that the Astra shares the NCB earnt by the RRC. Both are insured by Direct Line. I don't understand how it works because both cars can be in use at any one time unlike the 'rider' policies sometimes available to bikers where you are insured to ride one of many bikes at a time, not all at the same time. I really laboured this when adding the Astra but DL were adamant that the insurance is effective.

The expiry date of the policies didn't mater either. The RR renews at the end of January whereas the Astra is August (which is why I can't remember the fee).

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

ive tried a multicar quote. They have 'LPG - low pressure gas' in their list of optional mods (i was after LPG). great start.

Secondly - i cant seem to put my landy in as it wont let me choose anything older than 1973.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Jesus H Christ on a bike, that is serious cash Marc.

Reply to
Nige

Tell me about it. I keep kidding myself that I am self employed but it really seems I am working for an insurance company.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:51:43 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

Motor trade, innit. All dodgy, they are.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:08:39 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

that's a very good point. NCB is per-vehicle/policy now, for almost[1] every company. Also, if you have more then one vehicle on a policy, the price is based on the sum of the individual policies, unless you restrict driving to self-only, I guess.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Time for me to move to the UK and keep doing insurance I think. We're charging the current owner of my old garage about 900 quid a year - no wonder I'm still poor.

Reply to
EMB

Total brain fade above - rather preoccupied with RR problems - delete all references above to Direct Line and replace with More Than.

Sorry and all that.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Yeabut, I expect those two named drivers can drive anything from the fastest shit off a shovel suicide machine to a Reliant Robin...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, after all that it turned out to be academic as i looked up the renewal date for my main car insurance and found that it had expired last month - and I had to go to work so thought i better insure it again

- oops! - and renewing the old insurance was much less hassle. The renewal quote had looked too much like junk mail so had been filed straight in my recycling pile.

Was quite impressed when they recalculated it (cant take up the renewal quote because it had expired) - as it went down by £30!

Have been getting a few more quotes and it looks like my increasing age has reduced all the individual quotes nicely such that they are probably cheaper than a multi-car one. :)

Main car - £225

88 LR for 1500 miles - £88! 101 with 5000 miles (IIRC) - £221 other old saab turbo 3000 miles - £205
Reply to
Tom Woods