Vehicle write off, insurance procedure??

Hey guys,

Wrote off my car sunday night/monday morning. Long story short. Road was dry, came up to the corner which unknown to me, was icy. Slid one way, corrected (too much) ended up sliding the other way and by then it was too late. Car went sliding into a tree (front driver's side wing).

Wasn't going terribly fast, so no injurys or anything but apparantly the car was "beyond economical repair". The wing had a tree print, the bumper was ripped of when mounting the kerb, and the impact on the wing creased the bonnet and shattered one side of the windscreen.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with claiming the money for a write off. Whats the normal procedure? I've been trying to check up, and it seems to be that insurance companies take the piss with their first offer, and you basically have to haggle with them and prove why you think your car is worth more.

Do they try any tricks to try and offer less etc etc. Any advice on to how I can make sure I actually get market value?? Does it get to the point if you keep rejecting they will basically just tell you to f*ck off?

Oh, it's with Elephant if that makes a difference. I haven't really spoken to them over the phone as them being a pretty much internet only company, and was wondering, how realistic it is, that they would re-insure me after the write off. As they always seem to bring up cheap quotes for me.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Andy R

how much is it worth? if it's only a small amount of money and your excess will counter most of it then it's not worth it if it's a nice expensive car (German) and worth more than a grand (after you've deducted your excess) then get on the phone the car is only worth what the book says so get looking

at the end of the day you have to balance it out against the money you will receive and the knock it will give to your no claims bonus if you are young then take the hit and let it go if it's tpft then it's not even going to come into the equation

Reply to
nooneyouveeverheardof

f****it.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm sure he feels bad enough as it is...

and if your comment was a joke, i apologise.

Reply to
Rachel

Bad luck mate :( IF you have any bills from work done on it, get them out, as they could demonstrate that the car was in good nick and worth more. What car was it by the way? When a Vectra hit my Rover a few years back it was 'beyond economical repair' and the insurance company paid out £1000 for it (far more than what it had cost me), and also let me keep the car. A new wing, headlight and a bit of trim and it was sold on for £300. So it is possible to make money out of it (although i didnt lose any NCB as it was from the other guys policy). Depends on what car yours is and the extent of the damage though.

Good luck getting it sorted

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

No, in this case, it isn't a joke. Everyone knows how slippery it's been recently, and should have adjusted their driving accordingly. I've done around 1k miles in the last week and seen countless avoidable accidents caused by people driving way too fast for the conditions.

(The A470 in South Wales had a grand total of 30 accidents on it yesterday morning, because drivers seemed to think that 80mph was OK on black ice)

Reply to
SteveH

Fuckwit.

Reply to
Tony Bond

Yes, I'm the f****it that's done 1k miles in a week, in snow, driving rain, black ice and gale force winds without even coming close to having an 'oh shit' moment.

I was totally amazed to be overtaken on a very slushy M1 by an artic doing close on 60mph. This is in spite of us having passed several accidents caused by the conditions.

Reply to
SteveH

Thanks mate! They've hauled it off to the scrappy apparantly, so waiting for an offer now.

Its a 97R 1.6 Hyundai Coupe 58k miles. Silver, apart from point of impact car is in good nick. Apparantly Glass's retail is about £5500 with about 62K miles. and £3500 trade.

While im here actually anyone suggest a replacement car. I've had my eye on another coupe, F2 Evo £7.5k and 37k miles 99/T.

Reasonable power (well alot more than my ex-car) looks nice and is only group 13 insurance.

Any other cars look nice, reasonable speed and not silly on insurance???

Reply to
Andy R

Tut tut ... sniff the air, look at the ice on your windscreen, then learn to drive ..... slowly!!!

-- (Scum Mail Bouncer In use). (Remove the two "n" from email address to reply directly).

Regards..... Steve.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

I've done similar mileage, and again haven't come close to an accident, though on empty icy trading estate roads I have locked the wheels up at low speeds (too tempting) and spun the wheels whilst going along (low speeds again), but have been amazed at, like you say, artics zooming past me on the motorway, doing 50-60, when everyone else is doing 30-40 max. Mind you, down here it hasn't been all that bad. The other morning (Thursday IIRC) they were saying avoid driving into London at all costs, but I stuck to the main roads and they were absolutely fine (though some A roads had had sections closed due to ice) - only roads I had to worry about were little west end back streets.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Richard K had a similar sum of money for his £100 Scorpio Estate, didn't ya Rich?

I had something similar happen to an Escort I had once - I was coming up to a roundabout, lost concentration for a split second and didn't quite realise how long the queue was for the roundabout (rarely anywhere near that long so quite unexpected, no excuse though) and had to slam my brakes on. I luckily stopped just in time, so did the bloke behind me, but the guy behind him knocked him into me. It was an old C reg Mk3 Escort I'd given £20 for, plus around £100 worth of welding and some new compliance bushes for the MOT. Insurance gave me £250, and I just swapped the rear light unit and rear bumper over with bits I'd kept from the previous Escort (head gasket blew due to me stupidly not checking if it had any coolant in!) and kept driving it around, eventually selling it for about £130. Big money game, ya know!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hello AstraVanMan.

02 Feb 04 05:04, you wrote to SteveH:

A> though on empty icy trading estate roads I have locked the wheels up at A> low speeds (too tempting) and spun the wheels whilst going along (low A> speeds again),

This is how I usually drive in winter. Force of habit I guess, plus winter tyres.

10 years without accidents of any kind.

Sergey

... There is no devil; it's God when he's drunk.

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-031023

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov