Paint man Paint.

I got some xylene (?sp?) absed paint from the paint man at Gaydon for Morph in Desert Sand (Wet sand not dark, but light and wet IYSWIM ;0) )

Now I know I need to use Acid Etch , then a primer. I have some primer left over from my Cellulose job on Alfie (the now all Blue again rangie). Can I use these ok with Xylene based paint (which I think is a type of cellulose but reserve the right to be wrong).

Otherwise how many litres do we think will be required to spray all around inc the roof with sealer? Morphs a 101 Ambulance... oh and the wheels too...

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I ain't the paintman but;

Xylene is a common component used in cellulose and twin-pack paints, AFAIK it's not used in synthetic or oil based paints.

Acid etch is only needed for bare metal areas and you should be able to use your old existing cellulose primer over the new Gaydon xylene paint and vise-versa, from what a can gather they are both cellulose.

If in doubt spray a small inconspicuous area first, failing that half a gallon or two and a half litres of barcote should cover sufficiently if you follow the application instructions by spraying one coat only.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

You are, whether you like it or not. I'd trust your judgement above any other, actually.

Reply to
Mother

Blush!, Thanks Mother ;)

I'm painting some plywood in synthetic enamel as an experiment rubbing linseed oil into the panel to raise the grain prior to filling etc and whilst doing this particular job I decided to dig out some old painting litrature from way back (refreshing ones memory so to speak) and I came across a method I'd completely forgotten about on how to paint aluminium without using acid etch primers, surprisingly enough there is or was an alternative method before acid etch was invented but only useful if you intend to paint the whole vehicle in synthetic because the method uses oil based paints and can be a bit messy.

Nonetheless it may be useful to know if spraying by gun or aerosol are out of the question.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

It's all bare ally / brimabright.

I went to my local paint supplier today and told them the above but they thought it was a Synthetic paint.. then again I wasn't overly convinced. I bought primer suitable for spraying synthetic over. I have no idea to the difference . Would this cause any issuse painting Xylene based paint over a primer intended for Synthetic paint if it is indeed Cellulose based after all? If so I best dig out my reciept. On the Bright side I have managed to roller two sides in Acid etch. I've nothing to cover the truck with to prevent overspray and don't want to upset the neighbours.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Xylene should be compatible with cellulose because xylene is cellulose. You can paint cellulose over cellulose but should use the same thinners You can paint synthetic over cellulose. You cannot paint cellulose over synthetic because it will bubble off just like using paint remover.

Two Pack Activator contains Isocyanates, Xylene. Two Pack Thinner contains Tolulene, Ethoxyethanol. Two Pack Clear Lacquer contains Xylene. Cellulose contains Tolulene, Xylene, Methanol. Synthetic contains mainly Turpentine.

As a quick test try pouring some of the paint into a polystyrene cup to see if it melts, if it melts it is cellulose or xylene based. Synthetic or turpentine won't melt polystyrene.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull