Rear Spring Shackles on Series 2 Which Way Round

Right Problem,

Fitting new spring shackles, the ones with the extension welded onto them go on the bottom inside of the chassis, and the other with a slight raised bump on the bottom outside of the chassis. Long Bolt through the bottom, Shorter Bolt through the top. Tighten them up and in theory all should be flush .......... Or Should it ??

There appear to be a 1/4" gap on the top inside chassis. Is this correct or should both shackles on either side be flush with the bushes ??

Or have I got it completely wrong and infact doing in some alien manner ??

Thoughts, appreciated

Cheers

Iggy

Reply to
Igundwane

Will check in the AM, have a S3 chassis and also a LW chassis in stripped down form. Currently fitting new parabolics to the LW so have to consult the S3 chassis tomorrow as it happens!!!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Many Thanks Indeed ..... if you happen to have a digi pic of them that would be superb.

Cheers

Reply to
Igundwane

Erm, ISTR that the rear springs do not have the extra bit welded onto them, only the front springs, as the spring hanger on the rear is the same width as the spring, whereas the front is bushed through the chassis, which is some 1/2" wider.

I look at my parts manual and the bushes for the rear springs, chassis and spring are both the same part no (and therefore the same width) where the front bushes for the chassis are wider than for the spring. The shackles for the rear do not show a welded bit on them.

I think someone has supplied you with the wrong parts, especially as the bolts should be the same length on the shackle, the front springs will have longer bolts for the shackle than the rear, to accomodate the wider bush/spacer.

For reference, the threaded one goes inboard of the chassis, and the bolt head sould be outboard.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex,

Many thanks for that indeed !! You have solved the problem.

Very much appreciated indeed.

Cheers

Reply to
Igundwane