Which way does the decklid spring go in?

I have a 1969 vw bug and i took off the hood. but i forgot how the hood spring went in. do you have any pictures of how the decklid spring should go in?

Reply to
69vwdude

I asked the very same question on our club forum..here's the reply and picutre I got :-)

Pesky things those springs!

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

The picture shows the spring upside down. I am sure a lot of people try to fit the spring after they have fitted the lid, which is not the way to do it. You fit the spring to the lid first then fit the lid attaching the spring to the body as you go.

num=1082714320

Reply to
Peter

I fitted the spring to the lid first and fitted it according to the pictures, seems to work fine, same as before. Anyone got some pictures of how they did it at the factory?

--Steve

> num=1082714320

Reply to
tunafish

If you check the Bentley manual for 70-79 Bugs and look on page 11 in the 'Body & Frame' section, it shows the correct position of the spring (although I am not sure that it is located on the right notch on the body). Also look at page 26 in the 'Fuel Injection' chapter and you get another confirmation.

> > num=1082714320> > >

Reply to
Peter

Can anyone lend me a Bentley manual ...? :-)

--Steve

> > > num=1082714320> > > >

Reply to
Tunafish