Viscous fan coupling (not the usual question!)

RR '88 3.5 efi

I need the viscos fan coupling, simple I thought..as ever with this car it's not. Web sites list 'A coupling for A price'- Local Land Rover place (Shardlow) tell me it depends on the size of the fan-16 or 17inch. Surprise surprise my fan is 17inch which means it's supposed to have the one which is 3 times the price of the one for a 16inch!!! Anyone have experience of it making a difference? If I order one from Paddocks for example which would I get - there's no reference to fan size.

On t'internet they appear to be £65 (ish) Shardlow offer the two different sizes at £45 & £136 (ish)!!!

Thanks again for any input.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Drill a hole through it and fix it solid with a bolt.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Dave, It is correct that there are two cooling fans

  1. ETC1275 - 17" with 11 blades £22.16
  2. 614739 - 16" with 7 blades £28.40

There is also to viscous couplings to suit which are

  1. ETC1260 - To suit 17" Fan £70.45
  2. ERC2849 - To suit 16" Fan £59.09

Hope this helps

Regard

Brian Tonks Tonks4x4

Reply to
Tonks4x4

On or around Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:58:01 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

there are different sized thread on the water pump. The V6 ford has bigger ones, which take a 36mm spanner, the smaller kind on more normal engines take a 32mm. The thread is proportionally larger. Dunno if this applies to yours though. Might be worth an ask. I doubt if it'd make that much difference in practice. The only thing I've ever met (apart from trucks) where the viscous fan actually disengaged properly was the aforementioned ford - the fan spins for the first few seconds, then you can hear it wind down.

Got the hub bit off a spare ford water pump with the idea of fitting it to the front of the V8, but in the end it proved easier just to bolt a fixed fan to it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This can put it off balance. Beter still, get a shocker washer & fit under the centre nut & tighten to immobilise it. Worked for me! Noisy but. Don't do nothing tho- cooked engines=$$$$$$$$

Kieran

Reply to
Kieran McCoey

speaking of viscous fan couplings, what is the advantage of them over standard, belt driven ones? i am aware of the benefits for 4wd's when wading through deep water, but are there any other advantages?

thanks.

sammy.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Because they only "windmill" most of the time they require much less power to drive 'em. Also they make much less noise due to slower speed.

Reply to
Adrian England

Hi Dave,

The bearings on my viscous coupling on my 90 have gone and I have been quoted £65 from John Cradocks for a new unit minus the fan. I have been told that you can just get new bearings?? don't know if that's true. One other option I am thinking of is taking it off and fitting a Kenlowe electric fan, I think that will be over £100!!. I know someone that got an eclectic fan from the scrapyard and just got the censor from Kenlowe which made it a bit cheaper,

Did you say you were quoted £45 from a Landrover dealer for the 16 inch, I might look at that. if it fits I would say it would be fine. its only used

6% of the time anyway Just a few thoughts

Regards.

Reply to
Ken

If they windmill, and I assume by that you mean that they don't suck air over the engine, most of the time, why does the engine temp of my RR drop to about

25% of full scale on long motorway decents now that it has twin Kenlowes fitted in place of the viscous fan?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage