RR Classic Interior Lights Problem

Hi All

I have a 1990 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 EFi.

The problem I have is that the two interior lights stay on constantly, I cannot turn them off at all.

Can someone help me in locating the problem and getting the lights to work as they should.

TIA

Treva.

Reply to
Treva

Whip out the switches around the door hinge area, which detect if the door is open, and test each one with a multimeter. Most likely cause is that one of them is stuck. Actually, before you do that, check the switch on the light itself - can you turn the lights off at all with the switch? If not, it's probably faulty. If any of these need replacing they should be pence.

The alternative is to take the bulb out.

David

Reply to
David French

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:36:11 -0000, "David French" wrote: snip

Thanks David, I will check out the switch first. I cannot turn them off with the switch, and they are constantly on whether the door is open or shut.

treva

Reply to
Treva

David,

What do you mean you should be able to turn the lights out with the switch... Do I take it to mean if one of the doors and / or tail gate is open, I can switch of the interior lights using the switch... my 91 RR doesn't do that - is it supposed to?

I've always found it annoying when camping that I have to jam a bottle top in the switches to stop the battery from going flat... is there another way?

tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi Treva,

I would check the door switches first and if they are OK, swop the delay relay for a new one.

Reply to
Steve Medlock

The interior lights on my '91 RR time out after so long, even if a door is left open. (minutes that is, not seconds). Perhaps the dashboard switch is shorted?

Reply to
Bill Payer

My 77 and 86 RR's both had the option to swith the lights to 'off', 'on', or 'on when door open'. My 91 RR is on with doors or on.

I had this problem and found that the bulb mounting in the light itself was a sort of card/fibre strip. This has flexed over time, and part of the terminal on the card was in touch with the car body, providing an earth and allowing the light to come on. Because all the switching was on the earth return they did nothing. My solution was insulating tape behind the mounting card.

Hope that helps someone!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Williamson