New Lexus at Auto Show?

What is the scoop on the new Lexus shown at the NY auto show and described on CNBC today? It is supposed to compete with - be better than - the Mercedes S class. It will have longer body (Love it!!!) and have the power of the MB 12 cylndr in the 8 cylndr "green" engine which runs on alchol, gas, and electricity. Luxury and hi tech better than the MB. Price probably around $100K US. Anyone know about this one????

Reply to
mcbrue

You can go to

and click on the link for the 2007 LS 460 in the middle of the right side of the page for information.

Reply to
Ray O

That LS460L looks like what they were talking about on CNBC. But it comes only with 18 or 19" wheels. And that means I will not buy it either. That turned me off the Mercedes also. I would like to be able to take a trip from here in SC out to the west coast and up into the northern part of it and then back the northern route. But I would have to stop before it was over and put on new tyres and that is not satisfactory. So guess I will have to go for a smaller kar of some sort,one that has regular tyres or even regular size tires - DRAT!!!!

Reply to
mcbrue

On 14 Apr 2006 14:43:17 -0700, "mcbrue" graced this newsgroup with:

what does tire size have to do with longevity?

Reply to
kegler

I think he's talking about the LS600hL and not the 460. see "hybrid" on the same link

JP

"Ray O" a écrit dans le message de news:

1c3fa$443fc9b3$44a4a10d$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com...
Reply to
jpk

Both 18" and 19" tyres (or tires) have faster than normal wear due to the fact they are low profile, high performance tires. And both the Mercedes Benz S Klass and the Lesus LS class have them. So no sale to me ! Sorry, but when I pay that much for a car, I want tires that last more than 1- to 20,000 miles.

Reply to
mcbrue

Both 18" and 19" tyres (or tires) have faster than normal wear due to the fact they are low profile, high performance tires. And both the Mercedes Benz S Klass and the Lesus LS class have them. So no sale to me ! Sorry, but when I pay that much for a car, I want tires that last more than 1- to 20,000 miles.

Reply to
mcbrue

On 16 Apr 2006 00:22:53 -0700, "mcbrue" graced this newsgroup with:

My LS has 16 inch rims. However, if you're that concerned about how much it's going to cost in tires, the reality of it is that you probably can't afford either of those cars.

My sister's husband collects Ferraris. On more than one occasion she's had people ask her how they can afford the insurance or gas to drive those cars. She just flatly said that if one is concerned with either of those issues, they can't afford one.

Reply to
kegler

I live in SC. One of the things I will do now that I have the time is I will take a trip from here out to the West coast with a few side trips along the way, then north to revisit some nice places in Canada and back across the northern route. Problem with that trip and these junky teen rapper style tires is that I will have to put new ones on somewhere in the middle of the trip! And that just is not satisfactory. I will probably look into some of the smaller Bently cars instead. But the problem there is lack of dealers. So tell your sisters husband to come on down to SC and be sure to bring money to help keep the south green! We need and appreciate such rich folks! We all think them is jist fine folk an we shore would laik to hep em out!

Reply to
mcbrue

New LS version. The Ls has competed with the S-Class since it first came out. The LS400 was an S-Class sedan at E-Class pricing. The E-class pricing has gone away as the GS replaced the LS as the entry level RWD luxo-barge model to leave the LS as a pure S-Class fighter. Lexus just never bothered with the silliness of a V12. The new hybrid fills that niche nicely.

Reply to
Charles U' Farley

Where did you come up with that one? The profile has zip to do with tire wear. All the big wheels do is improve handling (less side-wall flex) at the expense of ride. Tire mileage is a function of rubber compound used above all and anyone can use any compound on any profile tire.

If you don't like the "high performance" part (which does impact wear, normally), cut a deal with a dealer to swap the factory rubber for something with a high mileage rating.

Reply to
Charles U' Farley