NY auto show pics

New Jeep Commander (ick!)

Jeep GC SRT-8 (kinda cool, but probably worthless off-road)

Kevin_S

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm really not a fan of that commander, they say that it's competition for the hummer....looks more like a full size subaru forrester.

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

I would buy the ST-8 as a grocery getter, but not to off-road. If I had that kind of $$, which I don't. Guess I'll havev to stick to the XJ.

The commander is U-G-L-Y.....

Reply to
Kevin_S

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually, it's refreshing to see a body designed for function instead of slavishly following latest faddish future-fantasy 'look'. Yes, it's a big friggin box, but it fits three-row tiered seating without significantly bloating the wheelbase and overall dimensions of a Grand. Returning to utility is a good direction for Jeep. Unfortunately, the performance design priority is for car-like handling and ride comfort (marginal ground clearance, independent front suspension, electronic anti-roll crap). Not much of an offroader and therefore not much of a Jeep. Still, they'll sell a pile of these in suburbia.

ick!

Reply to
Steve

... like it was made for your page.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Commander is competition for Suburban, Armada, Expedition, et al. Meant to look like an XJ crossed with a Land Rover. The Rescue concept was aimed at the Hummer H2. Actual H3 competitor will probably be Gladiator and variants thereof.

Steve

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

motortrend said it'll be competition for the hummer

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

that looks tough at least..

The "commander" doesn't command much

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Daimler has the G-Class since thirty years. These are very capable vehicles very much in the same class as the LandRover Defender.

The Commander is ugly, very much so I'm afraid...

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My question is who can afford them it appears DC is not looking at the blue collar workers and they are servicing the higher end dufaces who just buy them for bragging rights. Also, they would not know what off roading is let alone even attempt to do it. DC is making more grocery getters instead of work vehicles.

Reply to
HarryS