Re: 1988 Camry V6 LE vs. 2000 ES 300

Maybe you need to trade it in for a 98 Camry ;)

1988 V6 Camry LE vs. 2000 ES 300 > > OK, I've had my 2000 ES 300 Platinum Edition for about a month now, and it's a > very nice car for the most part, but here are some things I think > Lexus needs to take a look at: > > Very lousy cup-holder behind the transmission lever. > Just waiting for something to get spilled... > My 1988 Camry has more secure cup holders. > What happened to automobile cup holders over the past 15 years? > Did they get worse over time? > > There is no place to put anything near the transmission lever, > e.g. sunglasses, etc. The 1988 Camry had a small well/area right in front > of the parking brake and behind the transmission lever, and another > well in front of the transmission lever (cup-holder location) that I miss. > I know about the console box near the driver's elbow, but that's quite > big/awkward > to open/close while you are driving to get something. > > The rear-view mirror is not as bright as my 1988 Camry's. > The auto-dimming feature is nice at night, but even if I disable it, > the image isn't as bright as a plain old rear-view mirror. > > The rear-view in the ES 300 is partially obstructed by headrests, side > and rear door panels, etc. > My 1988 Camry had a much better view of the rear with less blind spots. > > And it is quite difficult to see a moderately low object behind when you > are reversing because of the height of the trunk. > The only other car I can think of that had a more severe problem > in this regard is the Ford Focus. > > The rear-window internal antenna is not as good at weak-signal reception > as the external antenna on my 1988 Camry. > > What's with this Sound Volume Auto Adjustment system? > I thought it was supposed to get louder as the engine revved up, but > sometimes it gets quieter when you accelerate! > I thinks there is a TSB out on this but I'm > not sure if my dealer will fix this problem. > > I am going to have to do something about the ES300 brake squeal at low speeds. > The dealer said everything was OK. > This is just unacceptable anymore. > Squeeeeaaalll! Squeeeaalll! > > The leather in the ES 300 requires too much maintenance. > Not robust enough. > I wish it had cloth seats. > Can't use seat covers too; the front seats have side air-bags. > > The lower front-end profile of the ES 300 makes it more > susceptible to paint chips etc. because of junk on the freeway. > > How long will this hydraulic thing that keeps the hood open > last? I think it will cost a small fortune to replace. > > An extra master ignition key costs $300 ?! > And the dealer said the car's computer(?) needs to be replaced if I lose > my only ignition key. Costs approx $1500. > Yikes! > > I can't believe we have to pay $300 for a duplicate car key now because of all > the high-tech computer theft-deterrent nonsense. > The 1988 Camry is the most stolen car in the U.S. many years in a row, > and mine's never been stolen. > I'd rather pay $3 for a duplicate key, and donate $297 to anyone who wants > to lobby Congress for a Death Penalty for car thieves. > (like the good old days for Horse thieves) > > I notice the side-windows of the ES 300 don't have an upper metal door-frame > like most cars do. > Can the roof alone support the weight of the car if the car ends up > upside down? > I think the glass windows will shatter and the roof will not be able > to support the weight of the car if the car flips over, but I could be wrong. > Don't convertibles have a roll-bar or something for this? > OK, I've never flipped over my 1988 Camry or any other car I've driven. > > It is quite easy to be doing 80mph and not realize it in an ES300. > And that may not be a bad thing at all. > > My 1988 Camry had a power/normal switch for the ECT transmission in addition > to the overdrive on/off. > The ES300 only has a overdrive on/off. > > The transmission dipstick is a lot more difficult to put back > than the 1988 Camry's. > > Looks like the ES 300 has a smaller turning radius than my 1988 Camry. > I have not seen a sedan with a larger turning radius than my 1988 Camry. > > I get about 25 mpg on 87 Octane on my 1988 Camry (2.5L V6). > I only get about 23 mpg on 91 Octane on my 2000 ES 300 (3.0L V6). > Maybe my ES 300 engine is sludged. > > I like the ES 300 dash/display much more than my 1988 Camry dash/display. > And this wood-panel(?) steering wheel is way too nice! > I heard this option in a Benz costs a small fortune. > > Excellent defogging/defrosting system in the ES300. > But my 1988 Camry almost never fogs up in similar situations. > What's the deal here? > > Is the electromagentic-shielding inside the ES300 too good? > My garage-door opener doesn't work unless I open the sunroof or the window. > Never had this problem in my 1988 Camry. > > Why do some ES 300s have 2 exhaust pipes? (same muffler) > My 1988 Camry had 1 muffler with 2 exhaust pipes, but my ES 300 only > has one exhaust pipe. > > The standard stereo system in the 2000 ES 300 is much better than the stereo > system in my 1988 Camry. > Yes, automotive audio technology has improved much more than automotive > cup-holder > technology over the years. >
Reply to
msb

I had a 2001 Camry LE and traded it in (plus some cash) for a 2001 ES300. I thought the Camry had a smooth ride but the ES300 rides like a cloud. Sounds like you were looking for something wrong in the Lexus. Well, you found it. I agree with the previous person that replied here...keep the Camry. But if you do.....don't come crying to us. And you're unhappy about where to put your sunglasses...????

Reply to
SignatureMan

I'm not really trying to be a wiseass, but why are you talking about a

4 model year old car and what you feel they should change on it?

The car has been completely redesigned since then. If you had something to say about a 2002/03 then ok, but a 2000?

Thats like complaining that my 1978 Mustang doesnt have airbags. I think Ford should put airbags in.

Go drive a new model and give feedback on that.

Reply to
William

BTW,

shouldn't you change your name now to one of the following: idontona Camry ishouldakeptthe Camry iona es300

Just wondering!?!? ;)

Reply to
msb

I still drive my 1988 Camry to work twice a week. Don't want to put too many miles on my ES300. Reduces its resale value.

Reply to
Iona Camry

You mean like this?

Boo hoo! My Camry broke down. Can someone in the Lexus Fraternity help me fix it, please? Boo hoo!

You wish :)

Did I mention that my 15-year old Camry still uses the original factory bulbs in its tail lights and turn signals? I only had to replace one headlight because the high-beam filament burned out last year.

My 1988 V6 Camry has only been disabled twice and that was because of a dead battery (they don't seem to last more than about 5 years), and twice because of a flat tire, over the past 13 years I have owned it.

Nothing lasts forever, and for all our sakes, I hope my 2000 Lexus ES 300 Platinum Edition will be just as reliable over time or I will have to post more incriminating data here. This car already has had a rear window power regulator issue, and some front seat assembly issues, from what I see from the service records from Lexus under the previous owner. Did you feel lucky buying a used Lexus?

Like Lexus, I'm also into the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection". Before I owned a Lexus, the ads led me to believe that this was the Japanese Rolls Royce. Now my impression is that it is a refined, high-end Camry, possibly compromising long-term robustness for the desire for luxury and high-tech gadgetry. And that's fine if you want to buy a new luxury car every couple of years.

The 2000 ES 300 does have its merits over the 1988 Camry. The safety feature (ABS brakes, front and side airbags, Traction/Skid control, etc). God forbid, but if I were to be involved in an accident, I'd feel safer in my 2000 ES 300 than in my 1988 Camry. Tha cabin is much quieter than my 1988 Camry, and the ride is softer. But even practicality is compromised: the rear seats don't fold down, and now I hear that even the Toyota Avalon's doesn't either.

I get the distinct impression that this car was designed/made for people who want to buy a new car, keep it for a couple of years, and buy another new car. What could possibly go wrong then? This creates a great market for new car dealers, and a great secondary market for used car dealers trying to sell these "Pre-Owned" cars to people who don't want to shell out the bucks for a new car. And if something does go wrong, the amount of high-tech stuff in there excludes the majority of auto mechanics from even trying to fix it, which creates another lucrative market for Lexus to cash in on. If I were a business-minded person, I would have it no other way too.

But I like that leather and wood steering wheel in my 2000 ES 300 Platinum Edition. It's the nicest steering wheel I've ever seen or used. I hope you got that in your 2001 ES 300 as well.

Regards,

Reply to
Iona Camry

If you bought a Lexus expecting it to be like a Japanese Rolls Royce, you are in for a treat. Lexi are MUCH better than that.

Reply to
GRL

I have never ridden a cloud, so I can't compare. But it is definitely smoother than my 1988 Camry, but not significantly enough to crow about. The ES 300 is a very nice car, but it is overrated, IMHO.

A Dodge? I'll stick with my 1988 Camry, thank you :) And I did find the sunglass storage compartment in my ES 300 in the overhead console.

Reply to
Iona Camry

Reply to
Car Guy