Timing Belt / Distributor 1994 SC300

I have 118,000 on my 1994 SC300.

I have yet to change my timing belt. Should I look into replacing it? What's the general cost to do the work (California)?

Also, I noticed some oil around the distributor and a friend said that it might be an O-ring. Can it be fixed or will I have to replace the complete distributor?

TIA

Reply to
bruceh

According to Gates' web site, the timing belt should be replaced every

60,000 miles, and the SC 300 has an interference engine, which means that engine damage can result from the valve hitting the pistons if the timing belt fails. To answer your question, yes, you should definitely change the timing belt. Check with your local Toyota and Lexus dealers for prices, or check with shops that specialize in Lexus or Toyota repair.

The oil around the distributor can be just from a bad O-ring. The O-ring is relatively easy to replace so it is not necessary to replace the distributor assembly.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, a real risk of totaling a 1994 car. But isn't the interval for California Lexuses 90K miles?

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Thanks you Ray O & St. John Smythe!

Reply to
bruceh

The Gates web site didn't differentiate between federal and CA engines, and as far as the timing belt goes, there shouldn't be a difference.

I think some late model Lexus with timing belts have had the replacement interval extended to 90,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

Even the spec 90K miles is a bit stretched but should be ok for highway driving. With more amount of city driving I'd change it at 60K miles. Of course some drive 200K with the original rubber band and that's not recommended. The timing belt stretches a little with age and retards the timing.

The going rate at Toyota is about $180-280 (4cyl-6cyl). Good independents are cheaper. And you have to add oil seals, water pump, drive belts, idlers and valve cover gasket set. So people usually negotiate a package deal before the dealer start to nickel and dime you.

Reply to
johngdole

FYI... Finally found the Owner's Service Guide and it says that at 60,000 miles... "Timing belt require replacement only if you operate your vehicle under conditions of extensive idling and/or low speed driving such as police, taxi, ,or door-to-door delivery use."

Reply to
bruceh

The 2JZ engines up to 1997 is recommended for 60K replacement by Gates. Post 1997 the Toyota interval is spec'ed at 90K miles. But if you intend to keep your car for an extended period it's always a good ideal to change these rubber bands out at 5yr/60K even if they spec a

90K, 105K or other "marketing" intervals.

Reply to
johngdole