Daihatsu Hijet distributor and ignition timing

Hi anyone know which way round the rotor goes? And where the 'check connector' is that you are meant to short out in order to check the
ignition timing. I recently had the head replaced and the mechanic set the timing by guesswork but it's pinking a bit on hills. If I know which way round it goes I'll retard it slightly, or find a timing light and do it properly.

if you can't work it out by observation then you shouldn't really touch it.

Good point. The mechanic spent ages trying to get the distributor back in properly so am wanting to disturb it as little as possible.

The distributor turns clockwise, but you only need to take the cap off to find that out. Altering the timing only involves slackening and twisting, not entire removal.