Are there any 'everyday' cars without cambelts or with a 'non-interference' engine design?

Are there any 'everyday' cars manufactured in recent years that don't use cambelts - or if they do use one, have a 'non-interference' engine design ? Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Pinman

Why?

Is this also to exclude non-serviceable chain driven engines? My previous Golf was chain driven (a non serviceable part)

Reply to
diy-newby

There are many new engines that are cambelt-free, but I don't know of a definitive list anywhere online.

For example, Ford's new engines, used in the latest Focus/Mondeo et al use chain-driven camshafts.

I doubt if any recent engines are non-interference; the performance requirements would preclude that sort of design.

Note that having the camshaft driven by a chain is no guarantee of improved longevity with reduced maintenance! For example, the cambelt change interval for the last generation of Ford engines (Zetec) was 100,000 miles; this has proved pretty reliable. At least one VAG engine, with a chain cam, may well need the chain changing at the same sort of interval, but at much greater cost.

Although only anecdotal, my brother had the (plastic) sprocket shatter on his chain-driven Corolla just inside the three year warranty. Damage was the same as if it had a broken belt. The dealer didn't seem too surprised...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ford ka pushrod, (not ohc) Any thing twin cam will be interference

Best bet is to get a shortlist of cars you like then check on the engine design. I would rather go for a chain drive ohc such as a Toyota engine, even then it is interference if the chain breaks. Belts are ok usually if they are changed correctly on schedule.

Or go a bit retro and get a 1300 escort mark three with the usually non interference CVH or something with a pinto engine, they are usually ok if the belt breaks.

RX8 mazda , no belts, no valves.

Trabant, wartburg

Early lexus LS400 is non interference.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

VR6, I assume?

It's very much a serviceable part with a recommended check and change interval.

Not cheap to do, either.

Reply to
SteveH

Just about all Nissan 4-pot petrol engines are chain driven and seem to last forever without a change.

Reply to
SteveH

Things with the 2.2 16v VX engine are chain driven.

Why does it matter? Over the whole cost of owning a car, a cambelt change is pretty insignificant... And most intervals are very long these days. And if you're worried about such a cost, you're unlikely to be buying a car with a very expensive to change belt (FWD V6s and the like) because they tend (sweeping generalisation) to be more performance/luxury cars and more expensive to run. Most belts aren't too expensive all in IME (under £200, VAG 1.8 T, VX 2.0T etc etc)

Reply to
Iridium

V6 4mo. According to VW it's a non-serviceable part.

Reply to
diy-newby

Surely a much better solution would be for manufacturers to design vehicles where the timing belt was a simple 20 minute job to replace, in the same way as Vauxhall designed a front wheel drive vehicle in which the clutch could be replaced in under an hour. Call me an old cynic, but it's almost as if they don't actually mind their car is winding up in the scrap yards after five or six years because they're too expensive to repair!

Reply to
Ivan

Needs qualifying with all CURRENT or All new Nissan engines introduced from 1991 onwards are chain but some run out models still had belt engines up to '96 when the 300ZX finished. Just about everything introduced from about '81 to late 80's was belt. CA16/18/20 in Sunny ZX coupe/hatch, Silvia, 200SX, Bluebird, VG30 in anything that had 3L engine, E13/15 in Sunnys, MA series in Micra.

Nissan have never had issues with premature belt failure before the service interval. Belt failure on most other makes was due to them driving things off the back of the belt and/or those things or tensioner rollers seizing causing rubbing that overheated the belt. Nissan SR20 does have issues with variable inlet timing causing chain rattle on startup, that costs £700 in parts to fix so most people let it rattle.

Reply to
Peter Hill

IIRC there's two different types, and one of them is belt driven.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My Merc is chain, as is every other current model as far as I can remember. And I use it every day.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

So you go and buy another one of course ! ;-) Graham

Reply to
Graham2

It would be interference if the chain went completely. Every twin cam AFAIK is.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Mrcheerful writes

Dealer said it had jumped off completely and was miles out. We'd have been more fuming if they'd not done it for free on goodwill (dealer serviced all its life).

Is the 1.2 a twin cam?

Reply to
mike. buckley

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Mrcheerful, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Mazda MX-5's don't seem to be. I've replaced snapped belts on a few now and never had an issue with interference.

Reply to
Pete M

mike buckley said 'cams' so it sounds as if it is.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

autodata agree, 'very unlikely' to suffer damage. So there is a car for the OP !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Mrcheerful, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Actually, thinking about it, the MX-5 motor was based on the engine in the

323, so maybe the OP should get a late '80s Mazda....
Reply to
Pete M

Yeah but they're all dull, other than the MX-5.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp