astra 1.7 diesel estate P reg 110.000 on clock

Hi everyone mine seems to use a lot of water. it's not leaking anywhere. Has any one any ideas as to what might be the problem I realise the mileage is a bit high but that shouldn't be the main factor should it?

Reply to
wenden1

110K isn't high these days. But rubber perishes with age and tho' you say it's not leaking anywhere, are you absolutely sure? How much water do you get through per 100 miles? I suffered water loss and eventually discovered that the water pump leaked only in one position. I found this out because one day when it was stationary I saw water dripping out. Turn the engine slightly and it stopped.

Maybe there's a leak in the heater matrix. This isn't always easy to see. Keep the heater on *cold* and see if this reduces the water consumption.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

The message from "Rob graham" contains these words:

Out of interest, how would that help? Even if it's the sort with a tap in the water flow the /other/ end of the matrix is still connected to the water system so the static pressure will be the same so any leak will be just as bad. I've never seen a heater with two taps to isolate it completely, except aftermarket additional heaters in minibuses and the like.

Reply to
Guy King

No, you're right. Don't know why I said that. However, it could be possible to short circuit the heater with a length of hose if the OP wants to go to such lengths.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

The message from "Rob graham" contains these words:

I've done it before now to put off the dreadful day when the dashboard had to come out.

Reply to
Guy King

I know! God knows why manufacturers have to tuck them away like this. I think at least they could put some sort of access door in the front of the bulkhead.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

You'll be wanting a (real) Mini then. couple of screws, couple of botls, and the whole thing drops nicely down from under the dash.

Reply to
Stuffed

Sounds good to me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

The message from "Stuffed" contains these words:

Or, if the bloke who had the car before you didn't put it back in properly, it drops out half way round Hangar Lane Gyratory Wossname.

Reply to
Guy King

real Mini ? two words ----bypass hose possibly the most evil two inches of rubber known to mankind probably harder to replace than an Astra heater matrix even if you cheat and use an aftermarket concertina hose Derek

Reply to
Derek

Metro/ Allegro water pump and head. Or Metro/ Allegro pump, and large bolt fitted to bypass hole in head. Plus a 3/8 drill bit used to put about half a dozen holes in the thermostat.

Voila, no bypass hose anymore, and a far better pump if you pay a couple of quid more for an uprated one :)

Reply to
Stuffed

The message from "Derek" contains these words:

I found the concertina one really easy. Anyway it's the work of a few minutes to take the head off.

Reply to
Guy King

Hi Rob, Thanks for your reply. I'm using around a ltr of water per 100 miles. I don't know too much about diesels but it seems excesive. I've watched for drips but haven't seen any as yet. keeping the heater on cold doesn't seem to make any difference either way. I've fitted a new thermostatt which seems to have helped a little but am still using more on warm days. Cheers Dennis

Reply to
wenden1

Just the expense of a new gasket though ;-)

But you're right about the A-series head, which on a Marina I managed to remove and replace in 45 minutes even on a warm engine. Compared with two days just to remove from a Merc 230...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It is said of the Saab 9000 that the car was built around the heater matrix! But OTOH is is also possible to remove said matrix from under the bonnet...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The trick is to use a carefully-cut length of heater hose and compress it lengthways in a vice overnight before fitting it!

Reply to
Chris Bolus