Automatic Gearbox problem (Pajero)

I have a 1996 Pajero 2.5 Turbo Diesel MMC with an automatic gearbox. The problem with the gearbox is this. When I am driving at 120km/ hour, 3000refs for ex. and I lift my foot from the accelerator the refs drop to 1000refs as if the car is in neutral. When I accelerate again the refs has to climb to its previous position ie 3000 before the clutch is engaged again. I do not have this problem when I manually put the car into Low, or 2'nd Gear position

Reply to
pvrooyen

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

Sounds normal to me. Read your manual. Autos tend to free wheel when in top and you lift off. That's why you have brakes.

Reply to
Tunku

sounds like the rear pump isn't working

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many (all?) autos incorporate a form of free wheel which works in drive. Selecting manually a lower gear locks this out. The driver's handbook should give details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do any autos have a rear pump these days? Not that it would make any difference in this case unless the engine stalled.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm assuming that you have had this vehicle a while and that something has changed in the way it behaves. In this case you must have a problem although I have no idea what it could be. If the vehicle is new to you and you are new to an auto transmission then you should know that some disengage the torque converter lock-up clutch when the accelerator pedal is released fully. Even in these cases it would be unusual for an engine running at high speed in top gear to slow to 1000rpm immediately on release of the pedal. I would have thought that the torque converter drag would keep the revs up to around 2000 revs but I'm not familiar with your unit so can't comment with any authority.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com presented the following explanation :

Not a Pajero, but an auto - mine does exactly that and is supposed to do it (freewheel).

In D you get the freewheel, in 3, 2, or 1 the drive is locked up and provides engine braking. That is exactly as it is designed to work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield