Automatic gearbox problem

I'm thinking of buying a cheap car very soon that has an automatic gearbox problem. As far as I can tell from speaking to the owner, it seems to go up through the gears but not correctly. I assume it's 'racing' in top gear as if it wants an extra gear. Could this be an easy fault to rectify? I'm not familiar with automatics but I do recall talking to someone many years ago about an auto gearbox problem that needed to have it's power band adjusted. It seemed that it was just a 'bolt adjuster' on the side of the gearbox if I remember correctly? Could this be the problem or is it a case of leave well alone? TIA

Reply to
mike

automatics but

What is the car and its age/mileage? I would not consider a car with such a problem if I had your level of knowledge of the problem. Tell him to get it repaired professionally first and only then will you buy it cheap. Remember though, that even after repairing, the car is not worth a penny more than the day before it broke down ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Walk away - unless you get it at a price that will allow a recon box. Once a box has started slipping it's toast. And no one will just fix one fault - the labour is such that they only do a full overhaul. Expect the thick end of 1000 quid for most older small to medium autos - more if it's a modern 5 speed etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really need to post the make and model? A Fiesta will be different Metro.

Reply to
Fred

Just out of curiosity, would this slipping be in any way similar to when my auto box kept jumping in and out of lockup when cruising? My problem was caused because because when my Nissan dealer changed the TPS, they failed to adjust it to the correct setting. I took it to a different Nissan dealer who diagnosed the problem and fixed it free of charge, after that it was fine.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The lockup feature isn't quite the same as slipping. The lockup clutch should be either in or out - but if it ceased working you'd still have otherwise normal operation. Other clutches in the box if worn or damaged can stop a particular gear or gears transmitting any drive at all - or try and engage two gears at once if they 'seize' .

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The car is a Mondeo 24v model - probably an M reg. Immaculate condition, leather seats, recon engine ect for 250 quid. I just thought that, if the problem was changing gears was not happening at the correct revs, giving the impression of slipping, then there was a simple power band adjustment for that on the side of the gearbox.

Reply to
mike

The Auto in the Mondeo is usually troublesome, but the 1.8 and 2.5's are not normally so bad, unless it done a big mileage.

The 2.0l autos are born to die usually around the 50-80k mark.

T..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Why do people charge so much to fix an automatic these days? Surely there are loads and loads of them about now - God knows why people would want a manual gearbox now. My next car will certainly be automatic.

Reply to
klf

I don't know of any car that has an external brake band adjuster these days - it's automatic after the initial setting, even if it does still have brake bands.

But IIRC, these Mondeos are known for losing top gear at around 60,000 miles, and it's not a cheap fix. Allow 1000 quid. You might be able to get a secondhand box cheaper, but there's no guarantee that will be ok either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because stripping and rebuilding one is a deal of work. The majority of the cost is labour, not parts. You also need someone who knows what they're doing and takes care - any muck introduced means almost certain failure, which tends to rule out the bomb site guys.

It's quite possible to DIY - I've done several different makes in the past, but not a modern electronically controlled one. But you need a decent workshop manual and the same sort of cleanliness standards you'd use before spraying.

After cleaning everything thoroughly, I re-assembled them in the house with polythene over the floor. ;-)

One day I'm going to buy a ZF 5 speed and strip it just for the hell of it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

condition,

Knackered engine which has been 'rebuilt' to an unknown standard. Failed gearbox currently. Hmmmm.

Scrap? It is obviously going for scrap value. So if it sounds like it, is described like it and is valued like it......take a hint. How fast can you run?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

250's not bad for a mid-90's car in otherwise good condition. Probably better to get a second hand 'box from a breakers or somesuch rather than attempt to fix. ...but having said that it's been known to get an indefinite extra number of miles out of a renault gearbox just by changing the ATF fluid - something a lot of people don't recommend. if anything is adjustable I'd imagine that you'd have to at least drop the gearbox oil pan if there is one.
Reply to
adder