Best engine, Fiat 1.3 multijet or Toyota 1 litre petrol? For Retirement...

Can`t decide whether to get a Fiat Panda (1.3 multijet) Or Toyota Aygo (or citroen C1, Peugeot 107) with the 1 litre petrol engine.

Question is not about driving experience or fuel consumption but more about

*Best Engine* and other modern electrical complications. I anticipate long term ownership with lowest in service costs, potential mechanical and electrical disasters are at the front of my mind..

I am considering both options based on cam chain and not belt. Both have hydraulic tappets.

Would possibly cover 100,00 miles in around 15 years.

Cheers, Mik

Reply to
Mik

Panda, without doubt.

Not much to pick in terms of engines - I'm almost 100% sure both have cambelts anyway - but the Fiat lump is the most lively. The Panda is also much more practical, having a proper boot, rear seats and 5 doors.

Reply to
SteveH

The Multijet's are class leading engines.

Reply to
T.

Thanks, I accidentally deleted the original post, here it is.

Can`t decide whether to get a Fiat Panda (1.3 multijet) Or Toyota Aygo (or citroen C1, Peugeot 107) with the 1 litre petrol engine.

Question is not about driving experience or fuel consumption but more about

*Best Engine* and other modern electrical complications. I anticipate long term ownership with lowest in service costs, potential mechanical and electrical disasters are at the front of my mind..

I am considering both options based on cam chain and not belt. Both have hydraulic tappets.

Would possibly cover 100,00 miles in around 15 years.

Cheers, Mik

Reply to
Mik

Both chains Steve, I checked them out. Its the high pressure pump on the Diesel that concerns me, if it fails. Although I prefer Diesel and we run two other cars, both Diesels. I need a run about though that wont rack up =A34,500 in faults ... This happened in a previous car during warranty and it was so scary to own outside the warranty period I bottled out and sold it. :) Is it really worth it anymore with small Diesels ? they seem to be getting more complicated ( particulate traps next)

Thanks for the comments though.

Reply to
Mik

Ahhh, yes. Odd, I didn't realise the Multijets had swapped over to a chain.

Fiat diesel lumps have a very good record for reliability - the 1.3 Multijet is just about the best small diesel out there - so much so GM buy it.

I'm a big fan of the new Panda - it's as well, if not better built than any other small car, and the diesel engine will do way over 50mpg.

Reply to
SteveH

And can be chipped to be about 100bhp?

That's a lot for a small car.

Reply to
T.

Why would you want to do that? Why not buy a 100bhp in the first place?. Why not add some neon lights under the floor aswell?.

Reply to
Matt

Well, obviously, Italian engineering is renowned for its durability and quality whereas the Japs are clueless...

Reply to
Paul Rooney

It would be faster.

It would have a greater mark up.

Now you're just being stupid.

Reply to
DervMan

Now don't get me wrong, I rate the 1.3 Multijet very highly and the Panda has a good reputation, but it's a newer engine for the UK and not as well proven as that little 1.0 VVTi donk.

This may be as much down to the owner, driver as much as the donk. Follow regular servicing on both and you ought not to see issue.

Barely run in, then.

Either should prove good enough. You might want to make the assumption that both will work just fine providing you look after them, now consider the dealership.

A poor dealer will ruin a good car.

Reply to
DervMan

I was thinking about this.

You can't get a 100bhp diesel Panda (unfortunately.... I reckon the 1.9 Multijet would drop in, though), and there's nothing else in the class that even runs it close, so the only option is a chip.

Reply to
SteveH

It's a development of the JTD lumps, so I can't see why anything would go wrong with it.

The camchain caught me out, though, given that JTDs had a belt.

Reply to
SteveH

I don`t need chipping as I have power and speed in another car.

It seems no one is aware of any inherent faults in the design of these engines (or other systems) that could increase the possibility of failure then?

Both Galvanised Toyota has 12 year perforation warranty, Fiat 8 years. Not sure if the difference would be an issue........ Cannot avoid ABS now on new cars :( more complication. I wonder which would be best in the long run, Toyota petrol or Fiat diesel? Going away for a few days, Thanks for the comments, Mik

Reply to
Mik

Yes, Fiat's diesels have found their way into other cars, even Saab!

Reply to
Johannes

Superlightweight wheels and semi-slick tyres, reduce the flywheel weight and fit a larger intercooler - there's some of the way towards 100 bhp Panda performance.

Reply to
DervMan

Yup, me neither and they've sold millions in Europe. But at the back of my mind...

Chains rule. See, I told you the Endura-E would come back into fashion! :)

Reply to
DervMan

I'd probably get the Suzuki Swift diesel though - same engine.

Reply to
T.