Citroen C4 losing power

Hi all,

I have a '54 C4 and occasionally it loses power altogether when pressing the accelerator after the engine has been idling.

To give you an example; when I was driving home this evening the motorway had a long queue on it which meant I was constantly stopping and pulling away again. About 1-in-10 times when I gently pressed the accelerator pedal I'd see the revs drop to about 400 and when I pushed the pedal hard after about two/three seconds the revs would pick up to normal (this was BEFORE raising the clutch, by the way).

To be honest, this is one of the first times I've been able to experience this repeatedly since I normally don't get stuck in lengthy traffic jams but it does explain why I've had a couple of embarrassing moments when attempting to swiftly accelerate when joining busy roundabouts.

In 20 years of driving I've never had this type of fault and wonder if it's something to do with the 'packed with technology' feature of the C4 not quite working like it should?

Any help would be useful before I take it to the dealer - from what I've read, I don't have much faith in Citroen dealers..... :(

Thanks in advance.

JW

Reply to
jw_uk2005

(jw snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Go on, a rough hint... Petrol? Diesel?

Reply to
Adrian

On the face of what you say, a failing pedal position sensor.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It's a petrol 1.4.....the basic one

Reply to
JW

Thought about that....it (apparently) has two sensors that choose the 'correct' position if one fails - scary. Whatever was wrong with a cable? Or am I showing my age.................

But you might be right!

Reply to
JW

Yes, there are two tracks, in most cases, one ranges 0-5v, the other 3-8v or there abouts. The ECU monitors both and chooses a 'sensible' amount of power from that, based on several other things.

Cables are old hat. Need many fixtures and fittings at both ends, whereas with a sensor at one end and motor at the other, you only have effectively 2 moving parts. (and yes, a greater propensity for failure!)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Aye, I can remember driving home with a piece of string to pull to operate the carb. (remember those) in the days when everything was fixable, mind you, things did seem to break more often too, but at least they were fixable or temporary bodgeable.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yeah, you could mostly cure any none HT drivability problem with a can of carb-cleaner, for about £3 at home.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..